Irig acoustic stage - percussion?

ampeep

Reaction score
I either play electric bass or guitar with several uke groups in Honolulu. If our cajon player is missing & there's enough uke players & I'm playing guitar that day, I sometimes use my irig to turn my classical guitar into a percussion instrument. Makes things more interesting.

The irig mic picks up hitting the guitar top really well. Anyone else do that with their mic'd guitars?

This sounds like a really interesting idea. My acoustic jam group (mixed instruments) sometimes has a bass player or a percussionist but not always. When we don’t, we sometimes struggle with staying in time. In fact, I would say that this is our biggest struggle. Leading the group, I have to be fearless in laying down the beat and ignoring players (especially right near me) if they are having timing issues. I’d consider doing what you are doing but I’m leading w/ either rhythm guitar or mandolin and don’t think I could not do that without throwing people off (lots of beginners). I’ve thought about adding a stompbox.

bunnyf, since you're the group leader, you probably need to continue with playing rhythm guitar/mandolin. What I do with my irig is in addition to the group leader playing chords and the bass player laying down the beat.

Seems like you could do some percussion, but that would require you to do that in addition to leading the group with your chords. Sorta like james hill playing Billie jean. (Would keep you extremely busy!)

Last edited:
Yeah, can’t give up playing rhythm or we’d fall apart. I tried a Farmer’s Foot Drum, but that was exhausting! I have to give drummers due credit. Anyway, I like your idea. I’m gonna try a stompnpuck, I’m already on a mic so it’s an easy add.

Looked up the Farmer's Foot Drum & was surprised that it's like having a full drum set that is intended to be played with your feet!! I can see that it would take a LOT of effort to play well. I've tried playing a regular drum set occasionally over the years & the results weren't pretty. The stompnpuck sounds much more manageable. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, can’t give up playing rhythm or we’d fall apart. I tried a Farmer’s Foot Drum, but that was exhausting! I have to give drummers due credit. Anyway, I like your idea. I’m gonna try a stompnpuck, I’m already on a mic so it’s an easy add.

Maybe a rhythm ring https://www.rhythmring.com or shaker egg in you strumming hand will help?

Maybe a rhythm ring https://www.rhythmring.com or shaker egg in you strumming hand will help?
Funny, I tried a rhythm ring years ago. They make almost no noise. Can’t really be heard over strumming and singing. Sometimes we will have someone on a shaker and they get some sound out of a decent size egg but I think I would have trouble holding it in my pick hand.

Sorta related; I saw a video on playing shakers. So i made a couple of them by filling containers with black beans & rice. Advil (small one) for ballads & bigger iced tea bottle for rockers.

Been having more fun playing them rather than guitar or bass. Timing is very different!

I just want to give due credit that reading this post inspired me to give the iRig Acoustic Stage a purpose in amplifying my cajon :)
I had the iRig for many years, but to be honest found it to be rather impractical to use on gigs because it's cumbersome compared to just having a proper internal pickup on ukulele/guitar.

I was going to sell it on Ebay but to be honest you sort of make peanuts on it due to low demand on the Used market.

So I have repurposed it as a dedicated Cajon pickup system!

kissing, it's great that you can use your iRig Acoustic Stage to amplify your Cajon! I know what you mean about it being cumbersome to use it with a ukulele or guitar.

I have a Digitech Trio Band Creator pedal. You step once for the pedal to learn a chord progression, step a second time to be accompanied by drums and bass, step a third time to stop. It has separate "memory banks" for teaching the pedal different sections of a song. Mine is several years old doesn't have the looper or as many "part" memory slots. The new ones have more features. The pic below is the new version. With the 3 button footswitch in "live mode", you can pause drums, bass, or both. Trio.jpgThey're a bit pricey, but well worth it I think. I'd suggest trying to pick one up used if on a budget and interested. I still use mine regularly. I like it.

Was wondering how the Trio would work in a live setting. Can it store a lot of songs? Is it easy to use?

My friend had a sampling keyboard + sequencer many years ago & it would drive me nuts if I had to program that thing.

I either play electric bass or guitar with several uke groups in Honolulu. If our cajon player is missing & there's enough uke players & I'm playing guitar that day, I sometimes use my irig to turn my classical guitar into a percussion instrument. Makes things more interesting.

The irig mic picks up hitting the guitar top really well. Anyone else do that with their mic'd guitars?
Wow, your's even works? pretty well anything I have from that crap marketing/toy company died 1 day after warranty or with the next ios/android/windows update. No driver or app support a month after product is released - they just release a 'new' version to trick more fools. Any generic aliexpress crap is 1/4 price and more reliable than iRig toys IMO

Wow, your's even works? pretty well anything I have from that crap marketing/toy company died 1 day after warranty or with the next ios/android/windows update. No driver or app support a month after product is released - they just release a 'new' version to trick more fools. Any generic aliexpress crap is 1/4 price and more reliable than iRig toys IMO
Wow, surprised to hear that. Mine has worked flawlessly for the past few years, although I've always been concerned about the very thin wire from the mic to the unit. Maybe I've been lucky.

In some ways, it sounds better than the Fishman blend in a nylon string Taylor that I inherited from my best friend when he passed away.

Top Bottom