Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slotted Headstocks

Default Slotted Headstocks

I like the look of slotted headstocks, and given the choice, I would choose a uke with slots over a solid headstock. Counting products from the Magic Fluke, I have eight slotted headstock ukes.

I recently watched a documentary about Robert Johnson (see separate post), and all the great players they interviewed had guitars with slotted headstocks. I don't think the slots add to the sound, but they sure look nice.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I think itis the classical guitars that have the slotted head stock because of the way the tuners are set up. Acoustic guitars have solid head stocks as well as electrics.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    I think itis the classical guitars that have the slotted head stock because of the way the tuners are set up. Acoustic guitars have solid head stocks as well as electrics.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sounds about right.

http://www.guitarbench.com/2011/03/2...lid-headstock/
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

That being said, I really like the look of a slotted head stock. Might start hoarding my pennies to get a nice pono with slotted head stock. Let's see, at my rate of saving I should be able to afford it when I am 374 years old. I am really glad that playing ability is not a consideration for owning a nice uke.

Not long ago, I picked up a used Pono big bari steel string PC model in the slotted head version. I would have been perfectly happy with the flat headstock (had that on my smaller Pono bari PC). I actually think I prefer the cleaner, simpler look of the standard headstock. The slotted style looks busy to me. I also find string change easier. I understand about break angle and such, but I don't know that I’d choose slotted if I were buying new. Since I bought used and Pono steel string model was hard to find, the slotted head wasn’t a deal breaker.

I'll join the list of slotted headstock fans. I think it's a really cool look. I have read someplace that it also lessens the weight of the headstock, though it doesn't seem like it could make that much of a difference on a uke. On a Fender bass, the headstocks feel like they weigh about 25 pounds, but not sure about ukes. I just think they look great.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

With slotted headstocks, you can have a string break angle (have the string pushing down on the nut) without having to cantilever the entire headstock too much. It's easier to make, and can also be a bit lighter than a paddle headstock. On the downside, it's requires a bit more effort to change strings.

Love them too. Love the look of my Kala cedar top, but agree the strings are a little harder to change. You have to work for beauty though, but I like Dolly's quote better: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." Love her.

Never been a fan of them on a uke but then I'm a soprano guy and the proportions are all wrong for soprano. On guitars they look fine.
    Glenn

I don’t know if there is any weight savings. I know that there are good sized chunks of the headstock missing but the headstock is much thicker on my slotted Pono as compared to my reg Pono.

Thread Information