Thread: Ukes that ring up the neck

Question Ukes that ring up the neck

One characteristic of my Moore Bettah ukes is how much of a ring the uke has on the A and E string (GCEA) post 7th fret all the way to 14th and beyond. It is spectacular! My other ukes sound any where from adequate to great. Surprisingly my TinGuitar soprano and Cocobolo super soprano too have an amazing presence and ring post 12th.

Which brand of ukes have you’ll found anecdotally to be really good up the neck?

I tend to play finger-style over just strumming and find myself up the neck for many songs.

Despite my technique, I’m able to get both my Kanile‘a and Rebel ukes to really ring out up on those higher frets.

The Kanile‘a continues to ring out with harmonics when I’m fingerpicking up to around the 14th fret. I’m sure it could do more if I were better!
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

My top 5 up the neck: 1. Moore Bettah, 2. Pegasus, 3. William King, 4. Goat Rock, 5. van Pelt
    Last edited by stevejfc; 05-04-2019 at 12:00 PM.

My Pono and Kremona 'ukuleles drop off a lot after the 12th fret. However, all my Romero Creations instruments ring like a bell up there, all the way to the 18th fret. My Kanile‘a GL6 pops well above the 12th fret as well.

Ukes I’ve played that ring well up the neck: (I’ll start by repeating Steve’s first 2)

Moore Bettah
    Pegasus
    Hive
    Pete Howlett
    Beau Hannam
    Toda
    aNueNue Light Bird
    Compass Rose
    Last edited by Doc_J; 05-06-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Cocobolo....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    One characteristic of my Moore Bettah ukes is how much of a ring the uke has on the A and E string (GCEA) post 7th fret all the way to 14th and beyond. It is spectacular! My other ukes sound any where from adequate to great. Surprisingly my TinGuitar soprano and Cocobolo super soprano too have an amazing presence and ring post 12th.

Which brand of ukes have you’ll found anecdotally to be really good up the neck?

I tend to play finger-style over just strumming and find myself up the neck for many songs.
    Of all my ukes, there’s something about the neck, frets, and spacing of my Iriguchi that give me a consistent response.
    I think I have pineapple UAS

Ukes in order of purchase
    2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), <recovered> abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

My Collings UT1 is amazing up the neck - fast, rings like a bell, to my ear perfect intonation on every string all way up ukulele. The rest of my ukuleles sound great in open position, but tend to choke up as I go up fret. It is too bad Collings doesn't make ukuleles anymore. By the way, I've never played a Moore Bettah, Compass Rose, American Martin or Kamaka...

tom

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post

TomtheBaptist

I've been watching this thread for a few days and kind of feel like I should point this out:

IMO, this has less to do with a certain brand and more to do with an 'ukulele itself being "good." Clear, musical notes up the neck are a characteristic of a GOOD 'ukulele. If a Moore Bettah sounded like cardboard past the 7th fret would it still be a good uke?

Certainly an experienced builder will check this box on most instruments, but I think it's far more instrument-specific than, "This brand always rings up the neck." Kamaka builds a GOOD 'ukulele. But I seriously doubt if all their ukes ring true in the higher register. So even a "good" brand can create a BAD uke.

Which is why it's so important to play as many 'ukuleles as you can. kerneltime might have the superior Moore Bettah in this regard. Or not. I might. We wouldn't know until we tried them side-by-side.

Just my 2 cents. Trust your ears. Be skeptical of hasty conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    I've been watching this thread for a few days and kind of feel like I should point this out:

IMO, this has less to do with a certain brand and more to do with an 'ukulele itself being "good." Clear, musical notes up the neck are a characteristic of a GOOD 'ukulele. If a Moore Bettah sounded like cardboard past the 7th fret would it still be a good uke?

Certainly an experienced builder will check this box on most instruments, but I think it's far more instrument-specific than, "This brand always rings up the neck." Kamaka builds a GOOD 'ukulele. But I seriously doubt if all their ukes ring true in the higher register. So even a "good" brand can create a BAD uke.

Which is why it's so important to play as many 'ukuleles as you can. kerneltime might have the superior Moore Bettah in this regard. Or not. I might. We wouldn't know until we tried them side-by-side.

Just my 2 cents. Trust your ears. Be skeptical of hasty conclusions.
    I kind of agree with you, thus, asked for anecdotal experience. You have owned a couple of MBUs from different years (from what I remember from the podcasts) and I am sure you have seen variation. Kanilea revamped their bracing and I am sure the new ukes in general sound different with the new bracing vs the old... there are a lot of variation here.. I have played multiple MM and Compass Rose and the sound profile varies.
    That said when ordering a custom uke the fact that multiple owners recommend a builder for a certain characteristic gives you higher confidence that the uke you order will be in the same ball park. Of all the ukes I own I was able to try before buying only a small number. So anecdotal experience counts for me.
    On a side note I love Les Stansel’s selling process, drive up to where he lives, try the ukes and buy the one you like.. he does hold on to a uke for a year before selling so you might have drive back to pick up the uke you had selected when it is ready to be sold :-) I bought one when I was there and bought the one Kimo bought later.. and they do ring up the neck in baritone sort of way.

Thread Information