Price difference i 1920's vs 1940's Martin Ukuleles?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1940's Martin Style 2. It was advertised as a 1924 model.

I am wondering if the earlier ukes are worth more and if I should be asking for a price adjustment? Or, do sell normally sell for the same price?

Thanks,

Ryan

How much was it?

I have seen them at all kinds of price points, so it is hard to say.

Depends entirely on condition and preference. I think there were 1000s more made in the 20s than during war time so they should be more common.

I just picked up a 1940's Martin Style 2. It was advertised as a 1924 model.

I am wondering if the earlier ukes are worth more and if I should be asking for a price adjustment? Or, do sell normally sell for the same price?

Thanks,

Ryan

I'm not an expert but have seen pictures of the ukulele you bought and it looks like it is in pristine condition. It includes the original case. That's something to consider as to whatever price you paid. Often, when I have seen vintage Martins for sale they have had defects that have been repaired. Yours looks to be all original with no defects that have been repaired.

It often seems to me that the price of these instruments is SO variable. I suppose one could scour the web and make a spreadsheet if you are in need of a hobby. The prices vary some on year/model and condition, but also who is selling or buying. I see some who ask a premium price sometimes optimistically. I also see auctions where a couple of folks battle it out for a really high price, which may not be typical for a given instrument.

You could stress over this kind of thing, but I would focus on the fact that you got a lovely instrument for a completely reasonable price in fantastic shape and enjoy it!

I'm not an expert but have seen pictures of the ukulele you bought and it looks like it is in pristine condition. It includes the original case. That's something to consider as to whatever price you paid. Often, when I have seen vintage Martins for sale they have had defects that have been repaired. Yours looks to be all original with no defects that have been repaired.

It actually arrived with a poorly repaired top crack.

It often seems to me that the price of these instruments is SO variable. I suppose one could scour the web and make a spreadsheet if you are in need of a hobby. The prices vary some on year/model and condition, but also who is selling or buying. I see some who ask a premium price sometimes optimistically. I also see auctions where a couple of folks battle it out for a really high price, which may not be typical for a given instrument.

You could stress over this kind of thing, but I would focus on the fact that you got a lovely instrument for a completely reasonable price in fantastic shape and enjoy it!

It arrived with a top crack, so according to everything I've seen, I paid too much. I could have got a 40's Style 2 in good (crack free) condition with a case for about $300 less than what I paid for this one.

Last edited:
How does it sound?

Top Bottom