Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When does it stop being a ukulele?

Default When does it stop being a ukulele?

I am extremely curious to hear the very varied opinions here on the concept of what makes a ukulele a ukulele.

Specifically, at what point—keeping the design as close to a “classic” Martin or Nunez double-bout shape as possible—does the ukulele’s size change it into something else, if at all?

If a sopranissimo and a baritone are the “standard” range of sizes, why not make them even larger? Do they essentially become 4-string guitars, even if the traditional shape and design remains true to the smaller sizes?

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other, and actually want to see something like a dreadnought-size uke, just to know what it would sound and look like! Kind of like the idea of “contrabass” versions of things like the flute, bassoon, or saxophone.

I know you’ll likely loose any semblance of that bright ukulele sound as you get bigger in size, but...does that truly matter?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Do you THINK of it as an 'ukulele? That's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Do you THINK of it as an 'ukulele? That's good enough for me.
    Ditto. And I did find this illuminating and related thread in my search:
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...t=Largest+size

OP there expresses a similar opinion that there is room for any size ukulele and tuning/setup configuration.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

I've asked many times what defines a ukulele and I have yet to have anyone give me that definitive answer. So good luck. I look forward to the comments. There is always a lot of "opinions" on it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

For me, 'ukulele' means soprano ukulele, but I accept that others use the word to cover a wider range of instruments.

John Colter

...anything that someone with UAS has an urge to buy.

I recently had a custom Jumbo Baritone made. I call it a Contra baritone. The luthier named it Kaona, meaning hidden meaning in poems and songs. or something like that).Is the size of a tenor guitar w 22.8" scale.

We're calling Kaona a baritone because it's with nylon strings and not a tenor guitar because a TG uses steel strings.

Photo comparing size with my Chennel archtop baritone and kaona.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basically the 'ukulele is a member of the guitar family and that family exists as continuum of instruments with really fuzzy borders between members. The Renaissance guitar was tuned G C E A and had a scale length somewhere between the modern tenor and baritone ukulele. And it was called a guitar albeit more like a modern 'ukulele than a guitar. Even came in low G and reentrant tunings! This is a 4-course Renaissance guitar (all strings doubled save for the first string):

By today's terminology we should call the above a 7-string long neck tenor 'ukulele! It's almost as if the 'ukulele is the direct descendant of Renaissance guitar. I'm sure the scale and tuning is more than a coincidence.

I have a Pono Baritone Nui/tenor guitar steel string and can’t really say what it is. After having a standard tenor guitar, it sure doesn't feel like that. While I know it’s pretty big to be called an ukulele, it feels more ukey to me than guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Basically the 'ukulele is a member of the guitar family and that family exists as continuum of instruments with really fuzzy borders between members. The Renaissance guitar was tuned G C E A and had a scale length somewhere between the modern tenor and baritone ukulele. And it was called a guitar albeit more like a modern 'ukulele than a guitar. Even came in low G and reentrant tunings! This is a 4-course Renaissance guitar (all strings doubled save for the first string):

By today's terminology we should call the above a 7-string long neck tenor 'ukulele! It's almost as if the 'ukulele is the direct descendant of Renaissance guitar. I'm sure the scale and tuning is more than a coincidence.
    Steel or nylon string? Like it.

Thread Information