Song Help Request John Prine!

Ziret

Reaction score
John Prine is doing maybe his last tour--his new album is great, one or two of those songs will make you cry--and I'm going to see him. To celebrate in advance, I'm working on as many John Prine songs as I can find. So if you have something special, or something rare, or anything at all, really, please share.

I'll be at the concert in Duluth, MN, if any UUers are going, I'd love to say hello while I'm there.

John Prine is doing maybe his last tour--his new album is great, one or two of those songs will make you cry--and I'm going to see him. To celebrate in advance, I'm working on as many John Prine songs as I can find. So if you have something special, or something rare, or anything at all, really, please share.

I'll be at the concert in Duluth, MN, if any UUers are going, I'd love to say hello while I'm there.

Great to hear you are a John Prine fan. Myself and Tim did an open mic performance of "Paradise" at our uke jam a few months ago. Tim played banjolele and I played my Kamaka baritone. I have memorized two of his new songs, Summer End" and "Knocking on your Screen Door".

We are going to his concert in June in Buffalo, a 2 hour drive from the Toronto area where we live. Enjoy your concert experience, I love John Prine and his latest album is fabulous.

Last edited:
Love John Prine! Saw him at Rutgers in the early 70’s. I actually like him more now than I did back then. My favorite song to perform is Aimless Love. My favorite to listen to is Hello in There. My favorite new song is Summer’s End. John actually lives nearby on FL gulf coast.

Love John Prine! Saw him at Rutgers in the early 70’s. I actually like him more now than I did back then. My favorite song to perform is Aimless Love. My favorite to listen to is Hello in There. My favorite new song is Summer’s End. John actually lives nearby on FL gulf coast.

Hello In There makes me cry. So does Summer's End, but it's my favorite on the new album.

I just told Google to play Aimless Love. Got Lionel Richie Endless Love. The horror.

Great to hear you are a John Prine fan. Myself and Tim did an open mic performance of "Paradise" at our uke jam a few months ago. Tim played banjolele and I played my Kamaka baritone. I have memorized two of his new songs, Summer End" and "Knocking on your Screen Door".

We are going to his concert in June in Buffalo, a 2 hour drive from the Toronto area where we live. Enjoy your concert experience, I love John Prine and his latest album is fabulous.

Paradise is a great song. He sure can tell a story. I bet you guys sounded good.

But any special arrangements to share, anyone?

Working on a couple of John Prine songs also: Illegal Smile & Please Don't Bury Me

Many John Prine songs about the lives we live if only we could put them into song.

My spouse saw him on Austin City Limits and said how much she liked him.....I said I'm glad yea you found him been listening to him on and off for forty years......

Would be nice to have more of his songs to work on..��

I love John Prine. Real songs about real people. Some of those characters can make your skin crawl they are so real.
I got to see him in Austin a couple of times back when tickets to ACL were still free, just stand in line for a bit and you could get them tickets! I was in a string band for a bit, back then, and we always covered one or two Prine songs. I think I could try that again, and really enjoy it even more now.

Ziret, I bet you’re thinking “gee, I already know alot of people like John Prine…what I’d like to know is if you have any arrangements”. I have about a dozen chord sheets but no arrangements per se. In fact, most of his songs are a pretty simple structure; many are just I IV I V I basic. I’ve just started working on mandolin tab for Paradise (melody line and double stops) but haven't done anything for uke or guitar. I play them just straight up mostly; some I’ll pick instead of strum. On guitar, I’ll add alt.bass and walk ups/downs but that’s about it. Most of the songs are more about the story than any fancy instrumental work.

Paradise is a great song. He sure can tell a story. I bet you guys sounded good.

But any special arrangements to share, anyone?

Just as Bunnyf said I don't have any "arrangements" per say, although I would like to find some as well. I pull all my John Prine songs off of Ultimate Guitar, I have the app "Guitar Tabs" which is fantastic. We just take it from there and kinda do our own thing and what we think sounds right.

Last edited:
I really enjoy playing John Prine. I've worked up many a song sheet for him in my play book:

Aimless Love
How Lucky
Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)
New Train
Fish and Whistle
I Just Wanna Dance With You
Grandpa Was A Carpenter
Paradise
Flashback Blues
You Got Gold
Donald and Lydia
Angel From Montgomery
Spanish Pipedream
Please Don't Bury Me

I'll check this out, thanks.

Is he going through Denver this year?

Go to Chordie.com and there are a bunch of his songs. I missed his Denver concert last fall, and I know I'll forever regret it.

One of my favorites is "Angel From Montgomery". Here's Bonnie Raitt and John Prine; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5NuI6Ai-o

I once saw John at a festival in Barrie playing solo. When he started doing Angel From Montgomery, Bonnie Raitt and Maria Muldaur came out and started singing harmony behind him. Then Arlo Guthrie came out and sat at the piano. I think John was genuinely surprised, but pleased.

I once saw John at a festival in Barrie playing solo. When he started doing Angel From Montgomery, Bonnie Raitt and Maria Muldaur came out and started singing harmony behind him. Then Arlo Guthrie came out and sat at the piano. I think John was genuinely surprised, but pleased.

Sounds like a great festival!!

Top Bottom