Season 377 - “Say Sorry!”

"Sorry, I'm A Lady" (1977), originally performed by Spanish disco duo Baccara

You won't be sorry doing the Gopnik Squat

For an easy introduction on how to be a Gopnik please view the video by Bald and Bankrupt.
Is Boris gives a tutorial on How to Squat like a Slav

Code:
Gopnik squat Gopnik squat  You won’t 
be sorry doing the Gopnik squat
Flat  cap on your head the wrong way round  
Feet  flat firmly on the ground, 
squating down and getting drunk on Kvas, 
hopin that he high will last and last
You don’t need burberry to look like a Chav 
just squat down as though your on the Lav 
Gopnik squat Gopnik squat  
You won’t be sorry doing the Gopnik squat
Three  stripes for life in you fake Abibas, 
popping sunflower seeds adds a bit of class

Last edited:
Season 377. Submission 1. "Ode To Billie Joe" (Written and recorded by Bobbie Gentry, 1967)

Thank you for hosting, Del, and your fine theme. There's "sorry" everywhere here, though you won't hear the word.

******* Del, I just now (8:08 p.m.) have read that only the word "sorry" will do, as I hadn't been back to the thread since Saturday. I won't have time to record another song, so I'm afraid I have to ask for application of the Thornton Rule or be disqualified. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:
Well I just wrote this during extra time in the Chelsea game in anticipation of them somehow managing not to be an English in a European final this season... it uploaded during the penalty shootout which they ultimately won so I guess it's not relevant but I don't think I've ever done two originals in the same season so **** it. Muttering so as not to wake the family up

I think it’s been a few weeks since I’ve done some Wilco, so I guess I’m overdue. This was on an ep I think, and then also on a soundtrack to a tv show I’m not familiar with. But it made it onto a box set of singles, b-sides and outtakes, which is why I came across it. “Sorry” is featured several times at the end.

One from our perspiration and cheap cologne soaked halcyon days of Junior High School. Our only concern was who we were going to dance with at the next dance (in both our cases, no one), and this song always featured prominently. We felt it deserved a kitchen rinsing. Mel choked on the back up vocals. Our apologies.

The Host asked me if the Gopnik Squat was s real thing
Here is a primer to Gopniks, Kvas, and sunflower seeds.
Gopniks may be as foreign to Americans as Hee Haw is to Europeans,
It is a cultural thing but in different parts of the world they could be
Chavs, Neds Bogans Hoolums Yobs Hosers Jatkat.

Last edited:
Here's a Merle Haggard song I'd never heard before, but I thought "Hmm interesting title" before even listening to it. It's one of those sad songs with a happy beat. I went from never hearing it to recording this in under 15 minutes, in fact this take was the first time I had tried to sing the 2nd verse.

Almost back from being ill for several weeks, I managed to record something today :)
Now I just need to get well enough to go to the office again.

Still no OutKast covers? I would like to hear that :)

I'm surprised neither Trent nor Alan P. has grabbed this one yet. A Bill Monroe song the Kentucky Headhunters swamped up into a Southern rock classic.

This is my second and last contribution this week. It is not as personal as my last two either.

I was thinking about all the ways we use "Sorry" .... many of them not expressing the regret we commonly associate with the word. Anyway, this song grew out of those musings.

We had a gig last night and while we were setting up, a monitor fell onto my thumb and cut a hole in it the size of the bottom end of a Biro. Luckily, it was on the opposite side to where I would normally strum. Unluckily, there was a lot of blood and I felt decidedly faint.

Several changes of band aid and of paper handkerchiefs (wrapped around the band aid and held in place by an elastic band) later and the blood eventually stopped flowing. However, I had to play the entire gig with my thumb wrapped in a paper handkerchief, which slowly disintegrated as I strummed. Finger picking was out of the question, so I stuck to a plectrum held warily between my over size thumb and pointer finger. Oh well, the show had to go on. In the end it was a triumph and we've been invited back in a fortnight's time to repeat the experience (hopefully without the blood and pain).

Anyway, that was all to explain why I am using a rubber pick on this song, rather than my fingers.

Hope you enjoy:

Here's a Bob Luman song I found. This is another where it's just a few minutes between hearing it for the first time, and doing this recording. The guy in this song is sorry, but he keeps right on doing his dirty deeds

I never really liked Marillion’s music - with the exception of this song and this song only! And I LOVE this song - it would definitely make my favourite top 5 of all time list. (I feel like I’ve probably said that for far more than just 5 songs during my time on the Seasons - but this one would definitely be on that list!)

Must admit I struggled a bit with the irregular strum and coordinating it with the vocal - took a lot of concentration and even then didn’t always come off. But I couldn’t let the week pass without it!

Okay - I’m breaking my one-a-day rule here, but this one is really Kevin Griffin’s (Mezcalero’s). He approached me earlier in the week to do some keyboards for this - due to time and electricity supply issues I’m posting this on his behalf. I think/hope you’ll like it!

Last edited:
I said on Thursday that it must be done.
After spending the afternoon ukulele shopping with my friend, Lucy, I had her listen to the original version of this song on Youtube and said I wanted to record it somehow for the current SORRY season.
Lucy was not so sure she had ever heard the song before! (I know, RIGHT?!?) The trumpet solo was the only thing she thought might be familiar to her.
She thought it would be impossible.
But, here 'tis....

My mother passed away a couple of weeks ago at the age of 94. It occurred to me early this week that it would be more useful to write a song to start processing my feelings than to try figuring out the English Beat song "Sorry".

It's a good thing I finished the video tonight when I did. Fifteen minutes later, one of the neighbors started setting off firecrackers.

Lyrics:

Sorry now to see you go, you caught me unprepared
I hoped you’d hang around for years, I know that isn’t fair
You waited to be ready, I nearly went first that one time
You’ve stepped into a vast new world and stepped right out of mine

Lanterns line the harbor as your boat pulls in to shore
And they’ll always have a vacancy and greet you at the door

Sorry now to see you go, I’ve known you all my days
Without you, will we still stay close or go our separate ways?
You always loved to travel, I hope there’s places now to be
I hope the wonders of the universe are there for you to see

Lanterns line the harbor as your boat pulls in to shore
And they’ll always have a vacancy and greet you at the door

Sorry now to see you go, will you just look at the time
You’ve stepped into a vast new world and stepped right out of mine

Top Bottom