Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makala dolfin weight/string differences

For what it’s worth I’ve just acquired another Kala. So far it’s all I’d hoped for but it still needs a little setting up.

Checking the manufacturing date numbers it has four digits and the first one is a ‘1’ (so it was definitely manufactured in this current decade). Experiences can vary, I’m not questioning or disagreeing with any comments above but rather just trying to add something to the knowledge base.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-17-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butnup View Post
    I wish uke makers would publish uke weights even though I suspect the same model wood ukes would vary by maybe 1+/- ounce.
    Publishing ukulele weights would be a difficult task, because the vast majority of ukuleles are made of wood, and their weight changes in accordance to their ambient relative (i.e. temperature dependent) humidity. If they are in a dry environment they are lighter, and in a humid environment heavier. I humidify my ukes in the winter when it is very dry inside, and on average I have to add about 5ml of water to the humidifier each week for each uke. So this means that a weight change of at least +/- 5g per week due to moisture loss or gain can be expected for a normal wooden uke. This amount will vary with different types of woods and different uke sizes. Even if the uke body is made of plastic, it may still have wooden parts such as neck and fretboard that usually are also quite sensitive to humidity changes and so can change weight over time as well. The manufacturers would have to report weight for each individual uke at a specific point in time, and this information would not have meaning for the consumer.
    Last edited by merlin666; 05-17-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Merlin - I understand what you are saying, but i think providing a nominal weight +/- 1 oz would be easy and helpful to someone like me who would simply like to know the approximate weight of different ukes. Thank you. Rick

For what itís worth Iím a great supporter of Kalaís and Makalaís basic models; the Makalaís make good beaters and the Kalaís can be very practical instruments for the club player. Of course they wonít chime up the neck in the way some much much more expensive Ukes might (say eight and more times the price) but they take a lot of outgrowing and give wonderful value. Player skill is everything and after that itís a case of what she or he can wring out of the instrument.

Thread Information