The Kamaka Jake Shimabukuro Tenor (Jake Blue) Has Arrived - Thoughts and Comparisons

Why would someone want to get an artist model? Well you know it must be special to allow them to play that way, Right? Yeah, like some extra special thing they do when they made it. It’d make anyone better.
Several years ago a small group met up with Aldrine at a local shop. I was really new to uke and we were talking about chunking. He insisted he could teach me. He gave me his signature uke and did teach me but I sounded just as bad on that uke. Funny, I’ve yet to find that Magic Uke that will make Me sound good. They sure are pretty though.

I'm kind of with you on the signature model, but I really like how the Aldrine and Jake models look. I could do without their signatures on it, but man they are gorgeous.

The OP posts give a great evaluation of this "signature" model.

In purchasing, one has to find the price/balance features that one is comfortable with. For some, hundreds more for an upgrade in the koa wood without a sound difference is worth it... others would not pay it.

A signature model is, by its nature, going to go above and beyond the top stock model. A lot of it will be eye candy. But expect that the care and attention to detail and design will also result in more pleasurable playability and sound. So one is generally choosing not because of the artist signature, but because of these enhancements. It also likely that a better player might be able to take advantage of these subtleties more, but I suspect that most players would notice some difference (even if it is a placebo type effect).

Love this NUD and the great details, it’s as though I’m there playing with it.

I got no problem with artist signature models except I can’t afford them! But I’m satisfied just by seeing them.

Looked at the pics again. The Kamaka headstock looks alot bigger/beefier. Maybe it's just the pic or angle. Both dream ukes for sure.

Headstocks.jpg

Yeah I am surprised it is still in stock. But I am sure not for long!

Looked at the pics again. The Kamaka headstock looks alot bigger/beefier. Maybe it's just the pic or angle. Both dream ukes for sure.

View attachment 117758

I believe the Kanilea probably has a 1.5" nut width. How about the Kamaka?

I took a ruler to them (only had a metric ruler handy), but they were about the same at 1.5". The headstocks are just about the same size, with the Kamaka just a bit wider at the top. I think the angle of the shot as well as the outward sloping geometry of the slots gives the visual illusion that the Kamaka headstock is chunkier.

Why would someone want to get an artist model? Well you know it must be special to allow them to play that way, Right? Yeah, like some extra special thing they do when they made it. It’d make anyone better.
Several years ago a small group met up with Aldrine at a local shop. I was really new to uke and we were talking about chunking. He insisted he could teach me. He gave me his signature uke and did teach me but I sounded just as bad on that uke. Funny, I’ve yet to find that Magic Uke that will make Me sound good. They sure are pretty though.

Can confirm that I have not gotten any magical improvement in my ability after playing the Jake model.

It is probably the 10th time that I've read your post. The wait time is getting longer and longer, about two and a half years now as of today. I ordered it on the last day of 2019, I'll probably get it mid-2022. It is unreal to think that I ordered it as a university student, and I'll probably be married and have a child by the time I receive it.:biglaugh:

It is probably the 10th time that I've read your post. The wait time is getting longer and longer, about two and a half years now as of today. I ordered it on the last day of 2019, I'll probably get it mid-2022. It is unreal to think that I ordered it as a university student, and I'll probably be married and have a child by the time I receive it.:biglaugh:
Kamaka had a picture of this on their FB page and as I was not aware of the model found this great review. It is a nice contrast to the 2022 Kanile'a Platinum. I wonder if ukujiji has received his yet?

Wow, also great to see this Jake model comes with slot head tuners.
I remember seeing another Jake model where it did not come with slot heads, and it really caused me to wonder why Kamaka would go through all the effort and marketing to make a Jake model but cheap out on the one detail that would truly make it resemble Jake's own uke.

Kamaka had a picture of this on their FB page and as I was not aware of the model found this great review. It is a nice contrast to the 2022 Kanile'a Platinum. I wonder if ukujiji has received his yet?
Nop, hopefully by the end of 2022.

Not married, no kid, still with my girlfriend. Received my Jake blue though today. Took exactly 3 years!!!
Wow, that's a long wait. I hope that the ukulele is all you hoped it would be, though.

Top Bottom