Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Kamaka Jake Shimabukuro Tenor (Jake Blue) Has Arrived - Thoughts and Comparisons

I believe the Kanilea probably has a 1.5" nut width. How about the Kamaka?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    Why would someone want to get an artist model? Well you know it must be special to allow them to play that way, Right? Yeah, like some extra special thing they do when they made it. Itíd make anyone better.
    Several years ago a small group met up with Aldrine at a local shop. I was really new to uke and we were talking about chunking. He insisted he could teach me. He gave me his signature uke and did teach me but I sounded just as bad on that uke. Funny, Iíve yet to find that Magic Uke that will make Me sound good. They sure are pretty though.
    I'm kind of with you on the signature model, but I really like how the Aldrine and Jake models look. I could do without their signatures on it, but man they are gorgeous.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

The OP posts give a great evaluation of this "signature" model.

In purchasing, one has to find the price/balance features that one is comfortable with. For some, hundreds more for an upgrade in the koa wood without a sound difference is worth it... others would not pay it.

A signature model is, by its nature, going to go above and beyond the top stock model. A lot of it will be eye candy. But expect that the care and attention to detail and design will also result in more pleasurable playability and sound. So one is generally choosing not because of the artist signature, but because of these enhancements. It also likely that a better player might be able to take advantage of these subtleties more, but I suspect that most players would notice some difference (even if it is a placebo type effect).

Love this NUD and the great details, it’s as though I’m there playing with it.

I got no problem with artist signature models except I can’t afford them! But I’m satisfied just by seeing them.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Looked at the pics again. The Kamaka headstock looks alot bigger/beefier. Maybe it's just the pic or angle. Both dream ukes for sure.

Headstocks.jpg
    John

Beautiful ukuleles...thanks for the review!
    Ko'Aloha KTM-00 Tenor
    Kamaka White Label Baritone
    Martin 1T IZ Tenor

Another Jake in stock at TUS (HMS)

Yeah I am surprised it is still in stock. But I am sure not for long!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Looked at the pics again. The Kamaka headstock looks alot bigger/beefier. Maybe it's just the pic or angle. Both dream ukes for sure.

Headstocks.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I believe the Kanilea probably has a 1.5" nut width. How about the Kamaka?
    I took a ruler to them (only had a metric ruler handy), but they were about the same at 1.5". The headstocks are just about the same size, with the Kamaka just a bit wider at the top. I think the angle of the shot as well as the outward sloping geometry of the slots gives the visual illusion that the Kamaka headstock is chunkier.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    Why would someone want to get an artist model? Well you know it must be special to allow them to play that way, Right? Yeah, like some extra special thing they do when they made it. Itíd make anyone better.
    Several years ago a small group met up with Aldrine at a local shop. I was really new to uke and we were talking about chunking. He insisted he could teach me. He gave me his signature uke and did teach me but I sounded just as bad on that uke. Funny, Iíve yet to find that Magic Uke that will make Me sound good. They sure are pretty though.
    Can confirm that I have not gotten any magical improvement in my ability after playing the Jake model.

Thread Information