Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingernails vs No Fingernails

Default Fingernails vs No Fingernails

Howdy,

I am new to ukulele. My uke should arrive sometime this coming Tuesday.

It seems to me that most of the uke players that I enjoy listening to (and enjoy their tone) have long fingernails. Ukulelezaza is an example. In preparation for getting my uke, I've been growing my nails out. I must say that I really dislike having long nails. Plus, I am already weird enough. I don't know if I am liking the idea of having a few long nails on one hand. My question is... are there any players out there that get a good "classic" soprano uke tone without nails? I am aware of products like aLaska picks, but I really don't care for those (I've tried them on guitar).

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

I am "no nails" soprano player. Can't stand long nails and can control the sound of the ukulele much better without nails. You will find that the skin on your strumming/picking hand builds up a bit of calloused skin around the nail, which gets a good sound.
    - Laura

If you keep the fingernails fairly short—about 1mm past the tip—you can easily vary the angle to use a flesh stroke or nail stroke tone. For the thumbnail, it needs to be a little longer—about 3mm—but it is even easier to alternate your tone between flesh tone and nail strokes. It's nice to have a choice and I love both sounds. One you have nails, they sound best with a rounded contour sanded to a smooth perfection (1000 grit plus sandpaper). I even buff mine with several grades of Micromesh.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 05-05-2019 at 06:14 PM.

I have very weak nails an for the past decade or so, have been visiting Lily's Nails, our local nail joint, to have acrylic gel nails applied. Like Segovia, I like them so that they're just visible over the end of my fingers. I get the index,bird and ring fingers done. I started doing this to only one nail to help with clawhammer banjo, but to keep my guitar playing fingers balanced, I got the other two done as well.
    Susan, the person who does my nails, knows exactly how I like them, and I have referred a couple of my friends and students to her.

I don't think that long fingernails are required equipment.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I dislike playing my ukuleles without longer nails on my strumming/picking hand. The tone is much more clear and the volume is much better for me.
    Sopranos: Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Welcome Milwaukee, that is a question only you can answer. Start with short nails, then let them grow. See what you think. This is a personal choice, only you can answer this question. Enjoy and be patient.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018
    Martin 2 Tenor Mahogany Style 2 C Linear Tuning 5/11/2019

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    Welcome Milwaukee, that is a question only you can answer. Start with short nails, then let them grow. See what you think. This is a personal choice, only you can answer this question. Enjoy and be patient.
    This makes perfect sense to me, thanks I will try this approach
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

I can't handle long fingernails at all and I pick just with my fingertips. That feels great to me and is loud enough for rooms with up to about 20 people without amplification.

Thread Information