Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingernails vs No Fingernails

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    I have very weak nails an for the past decade or so
    Have you tried Biotin? I'm generally not a vitamin or supplements guy. But I also have weak nails that would split up the length of the nail, not break across. (This is before I started playing) Very painful and difficult to grow out because the crack would just keep spreading toward, or even into, the nail bed. Within a month of taking Biotin daily, the cracks were disappearing. I haven't had a nail crack in the year or so since. Just don't tell Susan that I suggested another option!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post
    Have you tried Biotin? I'm generally not a vitamin or supplements guy. But I also have weak nails that would split up the length of the nail, not break across. (This is before I started playing) Very painful and difficult to grow out because the crack would just keep spreading toward, or even into, the nail bed. Within a month of taking Biotin daily, the cracks were disappearing. I haven't had a nail crack in the year or so since. Just don't tell Susan that I suggested another option!
    Thanks for sharing this information
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

I used to have the John Pearse book Hold Down A Chord and he describes a technique for strengthening your nails where by you apply thing layers of tissue to your nails with nail varnish. In my guitar playing days I did try this but to be honest it was a bit of a faff, and your nails look a bit weird. I keep my nails very short now, whether I’m playing steel or nylon strings. I like the tone I get fine.

I just keep my nails on the right hand a tiny bit longer than the left, maybe in the range of 3 days to a week's growth. I'll wait until the length annoys me and trim back to 1-2mm. Depends on your playing style and sound you want/need to produce as to what works for you.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    I just keep my nails on the right hand a tiny bit longer than the left, maybe in the range of 3 days to a week's growth. I'll wait until the length annoys me and trim back to 1-2mm. Depends on your playing style and sound you want/need to produce as to what works for you.
    Same here - if you like the sound of nails, they don't have to be that long, just long enough to make contact with the string.
    Laurence

Martin T-1 Tenor
    YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeattleUke

Thanks for all of the responses! They give me some things to look at and think over.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    Welcome Milwaukee, that is a question only you can answer. Start with short nails, then let them grow. See what you think. This is a personal choice, only you can answer this question. Enjoy and be patient.
    Ditto. I've found I like a little nail. Mine aren't long at all because they're constantly broken doing moped work.

I prefer to play with my nails. Unfortunately, I typically gnaw them down to nothing. So...I usually play without nails. Hehehe...
    Buy your new favorite ukulele shirt at my fancy, schmancy Etsy store! https://tinyurl.com/y3y9usoz

Quote Originally Posted by dkbrantley View Post
    I prefer to play with my nails. Unfortunately, I typically gnaw them down to nothing. So...I usually play without nails. Hehehe...
    Keeping nails in good shape, it requires discipline. Like myself, I'd like to open beer can with my right hand and using nail. That is a no no. Use left hand for that lid.

And if you want bite ur fingernails, just use the little finger's one. It is not that usable anyways. Just you have to always and all the time know that your playing nails are to be protected against what ever you do.

Is that worth the effort and constant mind bending is another guestion surely? In time it can get easier though with habits changing and you won't need think so much all the time of what you are doing.

I cannot abide playing with my nails. My occupation is rather physical and I have torn off nails or had objects bend them back. When I play with fingernails I get the same feeling on a much smaller scale. I get the feeling that they are going to be pulled off. I know it is a baseless psychological problem as I actually have rather strong nails. However I cater to this phobia and always play with fingertips. That means I will probably never have the speed to play flamenco guitar or tremolo pick 1/64th notes, but I am at peace with that.

Thread Information