Fret installation tips

cathouse willy

Reaction score
For my second build I will install the frets after the neck and fretboard are installed. I tap the frets into place and then use a press to seat them but I'm not sure how to deal with the frets over the sound board, (fretboard extension?) Hammering on this section seems a bit risky. Hopefully someone has some tips.
Thanks
Bill

For my second build I will install the frets after the neck and fretboard are installed. I tap the frets into place and then use a press to seat them but I'm not sure how to deal with the frets over the sound board, (fretboard extension?) Hammering on this section seems a bit risky. Hopefully someone has some tips.
Thanks
Bill
you can use one of those thingies that fit a heavy plate via the soundhole under the fretboard extension or cut the slots wider than usual and fit the frets with epoxy without hammering them in.

Thanks
Bill

Tip: Don't do it that way. Install frets on fretboard before gluing it to the neck like Cornerstone says.

Thanks
Bill

Why, on only your second build, do you want to make life so difficult?

Why, on only your second build, do you want to make life so difficult?

I should mention that the slots were cut before glueing on the neck It's only the last 4 frets that are an issue the other 16 went nicely. Besides it seemed like a good idea at the time. I think I'll widen the slots slightly so no tapping is needed and then glue in the last 4 frets.

Never done it but don't see why you couldn't squeeze them in with a small C clamp thru the sound hole. But like others have said don't do it that way no more.

File the tang off a little bit and press them in with glue.

Also, I have some videos on how i do it on youtube.

Top Bottom