Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which way do you wind your strings?

The things you learn on a slow day ... good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by actadh View Post
    I took my Martin S-O and Bruko #2 in to my local music shop for restringing when I had an arthritis flare-up in my right hand. The tech strung both the Martin way. The Bruko sounded just fine. But, recently the Bruko sounded off. Might try restringing it the other way.
    I really doubt that would change the sound of your uke. The reason they do it that way is so the strings don't bind up on the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Back in the day strings were wound on the inside for strings 1 & 2 and the outside for 3 & 4.
    Tuners then turn all the same direction when tuning. (tuning pegs, not geared ears).
    Same direction? I guess that depends on your definition. They all turn from the side into the centre, but they alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise. Having them all wind from the middle gives you two of the same and then two the other direction.

Has anyone tried all the same direction? e.g. 4,3 inside and 2,1 outside? Might be a little weird string path on the 2nd string - not sure it would clear the 1st peg.
    Glenn

When I bought it, the nut on my Martin style 2 was broken off on the a string. While it might of just been due to a weakness in the original wood, I thought that maybe it was because the string pulled to the outside instead of the inside . I've since wound the outside strings on that uke so that they pull to the inside.

It depends on the peghead design. Most of the time, all 4 strings on the inside of the post provides best alignment with nut. Sometimes, like in the picture you show, an outside wind will align better. I have 19 ukes and the only one that winds 2 inside 2-3 and 2 outside, 1-4 for perfect alignment is my Martin O.
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 05-10-2019 at 09:12 AM.

It may be the good way to avoid near miss.

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    It may be the good way to avoid near miss.

Horseshoes and hand grenades.

It appears to me that the tuners on Martins are positioned differently than other ukulele which causes the strings to be wound that way. I suppose if someone really cared they could measure and compare. I would be interested, but not enough to do the comparison. Besides, I don't have a Martin. But that's what it looks like to me during the five minutes I looked at various ukuleles
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    It appears to me that the tuners on Martins are positioned differently than other ukulele which causes the strings to be wound that way. I suppose if someone really cared they could measure and compare. I would be interested, but not enough to do the comparison. Besides, I don't have a Martin. But that's what it looks like to me during the five minutes I looked at various ukuleles
    The top two pegs look more inboard than normal, which would give a straighter line to the 2nd & 3rd strings, but we're talking about the bottom ones here. Having the top ones more inboard would allow the bottom two pegs (1st and 4th strings) to be tighter too, but I'm not sure if they are. Martin has pretty wide string spacing on their current models, so the outside string winding would be more of a benefit there too. I was looking at a Martin and a Kamaka on Mim's site (she has good headstock photos) and the Kamaka has a reasonably straight run with the inside wind. The Martin on her site was rewound to inside and has sharp angles.
    Glenn

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, but I'd just like to say thanks for asking the question, and it's been enlightening and entertaining reading all the responses. Next time I see a Martin, I'll look at it in a new light!

Thread Information