How much should a top crack affect the price of a vintage Martin?

I have a vintage style 1 Koa. It had cracks and paid to get it refinished and repaired. It sounds amazing! I bought it cause it sounds amazing. If you like the sound of a specific vintage uke, don’t worry too much about the cracks. If you want own a collectible (not buying it for the sound) then condition might matter.. if you don’t like the sound, I would say don’t bother.

I have a late 20's Style 1 with about a dozen repaired cracks , a repaired hole and many more repairs and it sounds great .

Yeah, I think a lot depends on whether you want something to show or a "player".

There are lots of opinions out there. In some discussions about cracks or slight deformities, such as bellying of the top, there are some who feel that the thinner wood which was responsible for the great sound and response was also a contributing factor in these issues. Some folks mention instruments with a number of cracks that they say are the best sounding instruments they have.

I really don't care about the cracks except for how they affect the price of the uke. I just didn't want to pay too much. Anyway, I received a partial refund and already repaired the cracks.

Top Bottom