KALA KA-SRT/MA Michael Aratani Tenor HSC and LR Baggs 5.0 PU MINT $450 + shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeman

Reaction score
kalaUkeWeb.jpg

Now with FREE SHIPPING.

With it's solid spruce top and solid rosewood sides and back with limited edition purfling and bindings, this Uke looks fantastic and sounds just as good.

I had great intentions about playing this Uke, but unfortunately my arthritis in my hands has gotten worse and I just can't play anymore, so I decided to put it up for sale.

It's been professionally set up and currently has a low G set of strings. I will include the strap and an additional set of Anguila Red Low G strings.

Everything is in new condition with zero flaws, scratches, dings, etc.

Please give it a loving and musical home for me!

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

I am seriously sorry to hear of your problem. Unfortunately, I foresee a similar problem in my future.

Three thoughts:
1. Have the strings lowered more for easier action. Like to 1mm @ 1st fret and 2.3mm@ 12th. You may get a little buzzing and the projection may be reduced but playing is easier.
2. Try some softer strings like the Fremont Blackline fluorocarbons. They are a little stretchy and feel gentler on my fingers. I have them on a Martin 1T and they don't require the pressure that say Martin flurocarbons or Aquila Nylon-derived strings do.
3. You probably know this already, but are you pressing too hard when you fret? Back off the pressure to the point where you still get a clean note, but any more and it gets muddy. A lot of guitar players tend to really mash those strings.

Best of luck to you. I'm afraid I am not able to make an offer on your beautiful Aratani-commemorative tenor at this time.
If you don't quickly get an offer, you might want to post more photos of the back & headstock and maybe a closeup of the label and soundboard. The sides are pretty good to have too.

Hand Pain

Hi Kenn,

So nice of you to take the time to give me some advice about playing. Although I am selling this Uke, I will be keeping my Concert Oscar Schmidt and continue to try to find a way to keep my hand in. As a former classical guitar player I usually went for the harder strings but I'll give the Fremont strings a try and see what happens.

I have a slightly lower string height setting now so reluctant to lower them any more. I really didn't want to "experiment" with this Uke and I didn't want to take the chance and have to replace the nut if I messed it up. I WILL give that a go on the Oscar Schmidt because I don't have much money wrapped up in it.

I got a commitment from a Uke teacher in Maine yesterday so I'll be closing this thread shortly.

Thanks again so much for your help. It's much appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

I am seriously sorry to hear of your problem. Unfortunately, I foresee a similar problem in my future.

Three thoughts:
1. Have the strings lowered more for easier action. Like to 1mm @ 1st fret and 2.3mm@ 12th. You may get a little buzzing and the projection may be reduced but playing is easier.
2. Try some softer strings like the Fremont Blackline fluorocarbons. They are a little stretchy and feel gentler on my fingers. I have them on a Martin 1T and they don't require the pressure that say Martin flurocarbons or Aquila Nylon-derived strings do.
3. You probably know this already, but are you pressing too hard when you fret? Back off the pressure to the point where you still get a clean note, but any more and it gets muddy. A lot of guitar players tend to really mash those strings.

Best of luck to you. I'm afraid I am not able to make an offer on your beautiful Aratani-commemorative tenor at this time.
If you don't quickly get an offer, you might want to post more photos of the back & headstock and maybe a closeup of the label and soundboard. The sides are pretty good to have too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom