Season 378 "Banned by the Beeb"

The old dope peddler

Inspired by TCK I thought I would give this a tango bashing
with excessive tremolo and a bowtie. The old dope peddler 1953
by Tom Lehrer done tango style. Banned by the BBC

Code:
[COLOR=#0A0A0A][FONT=Roboto]When the shades of night are falling Comes a fellow ev'ryone knows
It's the old dope peddler Spreading joy wherever he goes
Ev'ry evening you will find him Around our neighborhood
It's the old dope peddler Doing well by doing good
He gives the kids free samples Because he knows full well
That today's young innocent faces Will be tomorrow's clientele
Here's a cure for all your troubles Here's an end to all distress
It's the old dope peddler With his powdered ha-happiness[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:
do they still ban stuff now?

I am sure there must still be a committee somewhere who are there to say "absolutely not" to some records. But more often these days they just play the "radio edit" version - the one with all the naughty words blanked out. But in many cases it is pretty obvious what the missing word is - especially if it rhymes with "suck" or "fit". So you end up singing along anyway, and the kids in the car think it's hilarious.

One more for you Val, and another one that was not played during the Gulf war. The readers of Rolling Stone magazine voted it into the top 10 worst songs of the 70s, and I won't argue.

I am sure there must still be a committee somewhere who are there to say "absolutely not" to some records. But more often these days they just play the "radio edit" version - the one with all the naughty words blanked out. But in many cases it is pretty obvious what the missing word is - especially if it rhymes with "suck" or "fit". So you end up singing along anyway, and the kids in the car think it's hilarious.

That's interesting, Steve! When Lynda asked that question I tried to Google an answer and couldn't find one. So, they're still at it ... but I'm sure that they have our best interests at heart! (And, actually, the lyrics of some songs these days are so explicit that I think they might cause even the most broadminded some offence, especially if their sole purpose is to shock and there is absolutely no musical merit involved.)

i thought Christopher and Brian would really love this.
it's called CryWolves.
thank you for this week Val.

You're bang out of order, and have been all week. Brian and Christopher made perfectly valid comments which I happen to agree with. Trying to hide behind that old chestnut "all in the name of art" is shameful. Who are you trying to kid, yourselves presumably.

Last edited:
Here's my English version with added distortion. As Plastik Uke said banned almost certainly for the succession of murders and the underlying menace of the song. Also and example of beeb inconsistency. It was Bobby Darin's 1959 version that was banned but Louis Armstrong's 1956 version wasn't. I came across Lotte Lenya singing it in German some years ago and I thought she really captured the menace in the song, even though I don't speak German more than to ask for beer and sausage.

You're bang out of order, and have been all week. Brian and Christopher made perfectly valid comments which I happen to agree with. Trying to hide behind that old chestnut, "all in the name of art" is shameful. Who are you trying to kid, yourselves presumably.
Can’t disagree with Graham, Brian and Christopher here. Our host has conducted herself with the utmost dignity through it all, despite such provocation, and deserves much credit.

I guess this was banned because it's about a prostitute? Anyway, fun song. I added some simulated bass to this one.

P.S. Back when Steve did his skiffle season, I don't know how I missed this band, since they actually have "skiffle" in their name, lol!

Joo, unlike you, I respect the fact that the Seasons is not a place for pursuing personal vendettas ... so I am not going to be drawn to comment here. Suffice to say that your protestations of innocence here are completely false, as you and I both know!

Now, to the more serious business of the day. "Bonjour" again from deepest France, where it is STILL raining and we have to decide whether it is worth getting soaked by going to the market to buy a few vegetables. Thanks so much to Alan and Randy for your contributions. The Playlist is now up to date again. Please keep the songs coming!

Joo, it seems from reading your comments above, that you uploaded a video here with the clear intent of hurting Val, primarily because you had your feelings hurt by 3-4 dislikes on your first video? I'm sorry, but that is juvenile and ugly behavior that has no place here on the seasons. I can only hope I never doing anything to incur your wrath!

Last edited:
Ewan McColl had an off again on again relationship with the BBC. His music was completely banned at one point due to his ties with the British Communist Party, while later he hosted a show there for years. He recorded a version of this old traditional song Scarborough Fair. Thanks for hosting this week Val!

Joo, unlike you, I respect the fact that the Seasons is not a place for pursuing personal vendettas ... so I am not going to be drawn to comment here. Suffice to say that your protestations of innocence here are completely false, as you and I both know!

eh. I read the comment you made on that video
and which you conveniently removed.
and yes, I clearly understood it's intent.
it was nasty and meant to hurt my wife and cast aspersions on her character.
you are being at best, disingenuous and at worst, an utter liar and deceiver.

Last edited:
I am not a liar here.
you are a liar.
and you know it.

This is outrageous that we've got people that have gone to the time and effort of bringing a song to us and want to be heard yet they're swimming around in all this rabble of nonsense . This s** shouldn't be going on here guys. If you've got stuff to say then say it on each others YT channels or by PM. Lets keep the seasons about the music eh. This is aimed at everyone who is Involved and everyone who's jumped in on it.

Last edited:
eh. I read the comment you made on that video
and which you conveniently removed.
and yes, I clearly understood it's intent.
it was nasty and meant to hurt my wife and cast aspersions on her character.
you are being at best, disingenuous and at worst, an utter liar and deceiver.

Jon!!! That is absolute rubbish! I can't quite remember what I said under that first video, which Joo informed me had previously been banned from the Internet ... apart from the fact that I appreciated her posting it and entering into the spirit of the Season. I remember saying, having viewed the video - which was clever and surprising - that she must have an interesting love life, but it was never intended as anything other than a joke and based entirely on the contents of the video. And if that is what she is referring to, then I NEVER removed that comment ... so far as I know it's still there! I was under the impression that she was intending to participate in the Season and was making a worthwhile contribution by posting such a clever vid, I had no idea that it was the beginning of a malevolent and machiavellian campaign to undermine the week. For heaven's sake!!!

And this is not going to develop into a slanging match ... this is absolutely the last thing I am going to say on the subject.

This is outrageous that we've got people that have gone to the time and effort of bringing a song to us and want to be heard yet they're swimming around in all this rabble of nonsense . This s** shouldn't be going on here guys. If you've got stuff to say then say it on each others YT channels or by PM. Lets keep the seasons about the music eh. This is aimed at everyone who is Involved and everyone who's jumped in on it.

Mark, I could not agree more and I apologise to everyone for the discomfort this must be causing. Could we not PLEASE concentrate on the business of bringing songs here!

Top Bottom