Thread: Bass & singing

Default Bass & singing

While playing the guitar I can sing but have a much harder time when playing bass. Have to concentrate on the rhythm which throws me off. Impressed by bass players that can sing well.

Have always been amazed with Felix cavilere of the rascals. He sang lead while playing the Hammond b3 organ & bass lines with the organ foot pedals!

Are you able to sing while playing bass?

Me too! I can sing all day while playing chords on guitar or uke, but on bass, there's nowhere to hide, and mistakes are way more apparent. Much harder to lay down the low end and rhythm while singing, it's kinda similar to singing while playing lead guitar.
    John

I believe it is partially because when strumming chords you are playing harmony to the melody.
    With bass you are playing a note you may not be singing.
    Keep Strummin'

On the guitar I play bass lines along with chords for many songs (like the joker) and I have no problem with singing along. It's an automatic thing and I don't even pay attention to what fingers are doing.

I have to really know the song well to play bass and sing. I finally got "Over the Rainbow" when raoming the hospital gigs we do.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I don't sing much, if at all while playing bass. Too busy concentrating on what I should be playing!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water w/Fremont soloist low G | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe | Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Even though I am not a great singer I do manage to play bass and sing lead on Bongo Bong by Manu Chau.
    The trick for me was to play the song over and over until muscle memory takes over, leaving the brain free to think about singing.
    If your uke is too loud, your neighbours are wrong.

Thread Information