Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass & singing

In the original lineup of the band Chicago, Peter Cetera was a heck of a bass man, and seemed to sing while playing effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    In the original lineup of the band Chicago, Peter Cetera was a heck of a bass man, and seemed to sing while playing effortlessly.
    So did Paul McCartney.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    I have tried to play drums and find the whole body coordination required for that impossible. Drummers who sing at the same time must be some kind of aliens.
    You mean like Don Henley and Levon Helm?

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    So did Paul McCartney.
    And Sting...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

And Esperanza Spalding today. It can be done.....just not by me.

I saw some videos on YouTube about a kanikapila at Na Mea at ward center. A couple of my uke group members went before & told me thereís no written music. Iím not so hot at playing by ear nowdays, so just brought my shakers. When I got the, they asked if I brought my instrument - told them I left my guitar & bass at home.

They brought a washtub bass that was in the shop & asked if I wanted to try. Was challenging cuz I had to play everything by ear - these guys are really good & were understanding about my attempts. We jammed for 2 1/2 hrs & was fun!

Some ex-locals from the Midwest stopped by for a while. They really appreciated hearing Hawaiian music again.

Thereís no way I could sing more than a few words; spent most of the time trying to figure out what to play.

I suppose it's just all about practice.
    Although I'm not really a 'singer' I *DO* enjoy having a good old sing along when playing my guitars and ukes, but I inherited an electric bass guitar recently and currently find it almost impossible to sing when trying to play that. I just put it down to the fact I've never played bass before so was therefore having to concentrate so hard on the playing that my vocals lost the plot. Perhaps it'll get better the more experienced I get; perhaps not, as it seems others of you far more practiced than I have trouble also.
    Never mind - the frustration of 'trying to make it work' and wanting to throw your instrument against the wall at times, is all part of the fun...er...isn't it? lol
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Tom Petty started out as a bass player for Mudcrutch and throughout his career could easily switch to bass when the need arose. I read an interview where the interviewer asked him if he had any difficulties singing while playing bass because most people found it very difficult. Petty replied that he could sing and play bass because he never knew that it was supposed to be difficult. He then said that it was one time where his ignorance served him well. I laughed when I read that. It made me appreciate Petty that much more. He had an innate talent.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 09-13-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Your post immediately made me think of this video. This is a bit astray of the topic but it shows a time when Cetera was still cool and that before Chicago was dismissed as a soft rock/ballad band that they were nearly untouchable as one of the best bands in the business. (For me, their first 7 albums.) The quality isn't that great but crank it up and give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX3WwfvdV0
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Your post immediately made me think of this video. This is a bit astray of the topic but it shows a time when Cetera was still cool and that before Chicago was dismissed as a soft rock/ballad band that they were nearly untouchable as one of the best bands in the business. (For me, their first 7 albums.) The quality isn't that great but crank it up and give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX3WwfvdV0
    There was a great show on CNN last week about the History of Chicago, including their time at Caribou Ranch. An old girlfriends son lived in a cabin up there and there was a Grand piano in it. I imagined who sat around in that room and jammed and other things...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Since it's fun, I'll just add one more great bassist/singer who I hadn't thought of at first, but recently came to mind. Lance Hoppen, the bassist and one of the lead singers for Orleans, was (and still is) great at this multi-tasking. I'm in awe of how he can still sing lead on "Dance With Me" while playing a melodic bass line that's often going in the opposite direction of the vocal line he's singing. Lotsa talent out there....

Thread Information