Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison Tests of Nut Material

Default Comparison Tests of Saddle Material

This is a 34+ minute video comparing saddle material, but I didn't see conclusions. Maybe if I watched it all the way through...

There was too much chatting. I was hoping for a summary at the end. I'll post this and then hope I can post the link - from HMS.

"Give me the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YqD...eid=6fdcc5f552
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Actually the comparison is for the different types of saddle materials. I donít think nut material makes enough of a difference to matter... obviously none on barred chords.

I scanned through the video. The conclusion I got was more applicable for dogs.

The other conclusion is that people have preferences and will tend to favor what they like.

But it is an interesting discussion, one that has gone on for years. Luthiers are the ones that probably can offer the most input. One constant is that natural materials will vary some, whereas man-made will be more consistent.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Actually the comparison is for the different types of saddle materials.
    Thanks. I made the correction.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

After some additional thought, I can understand the obvious as to why dogs prefer a bone saddle.

John

The video talks about how ebony is warmer and then I noticed my Ken Timms has ebony and it is not warm!
    I did upgrade the spruce fluke saddle to whatever plastic saddle they had to a bone one and it cut off the higher harmonics making the uke a lot warmer

The conclusion was that saddle material makes a small difference compared to the actual build quality and properties of the body itself. They compared it to performance cars where the body is the engine. Saddle, nut, strings, etc are like tuning with bigger injectors, cams, etc. You have to start with a good engine, and pick parts the match to get the performance you want.

As for the materials themselves... Going from bright with lots of sustain to warmer but less sustain was: bone, Tusq, rosewood, ebony. I don’t know why they bothered with plastic. Some felt the wood saddles gave that “authentic HI sound”, others thought the ebony lost too much up top - like turning the tone knob all the way down. YMMV depending on the instrument and play style.

Pardon me, are we running out of bones that we need to get replacement materials? I always thought a high quality uke always uses bone. I would expect minimum to be a Tusq for a high end uke.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    Pardon me, are we running out of bones that we need to get replacement materials? I always thought a high quality uke always uses bone. I would expect minimum to be a Tusq for a high end uke.
    Why limit yourself based on what’s “proper”? If a particular uke sounds better to your ears with a rosewood saddle, then use a rosewood saddle. That being said, I don’t think anyone’s ever thought to themselves, “gee... this instrument would really sing if only the saddle were plastic”. ��

Early on in the video they showed a chart that compared sound frequencies of various bridge materials. It was shown too briefly to be useful, however. As for the "testing" during this video, it was more of a gab session coupled with sound bites.

To me (at least) it was NOT very well done or useful. But then ... I'm a cranky old f**t so.. what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post
    Why limit yourself based on what’s “proper”? If a particular uke sounds better to your ears with a rosewood saddle, then use a rosewood saddle. That being said, I don’t think anyone’s ever thought to themselves, “gee... this instrument would really sing if only the saddle were plastic”. ��
    Well you have a point but I generally don’t think too much on the effect a saddle material might has on the sound. Action height yes. So to me it’s aesthetic purpose. I kind of not liking a wood based saddle. Even with the harder wood, the strings most probably will cut into the wooden saddle over time and hence lower the original action height which is kind of not ideal. Just my thoughts only.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Thread Information