Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fingerstyle Practice

That's how it started with me - learning hybrid picking on the guitar and then dropping the pick when it came to the ukulele.

That's like Django would have played it because he only had the thumb and forefinger on his rt. hand, legend says...

I use PIM, but I agree with Aaron Keim that a thumb pick puts your thumb in a more natural position, so I have added that. A problem with most thumb picks is that they are too stiff and they make the thumb notes louder than the other notes. I have gone to a Fred Kelly Speedpick, which is smaller, less stiff and doesn't make the thumb notes so loud.

And from banjo I learned to do fast single note runs with alternating thumb and index finger - I have carried that over to uke.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by tolona View Post
    That's like Django would have played it because he only had the thumb and forefinger on his rt. hand, legend says...
    It was his left hand that was damaged in the fire.

.E85CD204-E676-431E-9170-813063756C55.jpg

On chord melodies I use mostly my thumb. When I studied guitar I used PIMA and still do, however on ukulele I learned from the beginning to use PPIM. For some reason it just feels more natural to do it that way so I stick to PPIM on ukulele.

Thumb and index finger works for me on ukulele. Most melody notes with thumb, but for double stops, drone notes, and some A string notes, I use index finger

Thread Information