Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fingerstyle Practice

Default Fingerstyle Practice

I've been playing guitar for a while and, when I crossed over to ukulele, assigned four fingers (picking hand) to individual strings, but I've never been too stoked on the tone or the speed. I was talking to a friend who plays ukulele way better than I do, and he said that he only uses four fingers when plucking a chord. Generally he just uses three (T, I, M) and alternates the thumb between the G and C strings.

So I started re-learning this and it's tough!

Also, just an aside: usually I don't play with fingernails, but greatly prefer the tone of fingernails and have found that the angle of attack from the thumb in particular has a huge impact on the tone and it's something else I'll have to focus on learning.

But it's still a lot of fun.

I use 4 fingers

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    I'm currently just using the thumb
    That how I play. Guess I'm too lazy or satisfied with the status quo to change. But that inspires me to try,

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Interesting. I try to stick to PIMA, but occasionaly just use my thumb when the picking tends to be mostly sequential. I'll have to try this out.
    Glenn

I usually use PIMA when fingerpicking, but when playing Travis-style patterns with alternating bass as you do here, I always switch to PIM and use the thumb to play the alternating bass.

Very nice picking Russ.
    Fast, accurate, and very musical.
    What's the chord sequence?
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

I started out usin’ pima, but I didn’t like it and switched to pim. I also used just my index and thumb for clawhammer. But then, just noodling tunes, I started using just my thumb.

Now, when I play on Aquilas at all, I use pim, or strum. For my other axes, I use picks.

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Very nice picking Russ.
    Fast, accurate, and very musical.
    What's the chord sequence?
    Thank you!

C, F, C, G, C, F, C, G
    Em, F, Em, F, Em, F, Dm, G

I use PIM, Ukulele Mike and Aaron Keim teach that method. It is very effective with Travis picking as you use alternating thumb and when you pinch the 3 and 1 string together.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-24-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information