Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fingerstyle Practice

Quote Originally Posted by dkbrantley View Post
    1. Picking sounds great!
    2. After you all sent me to Google, I learned that I, too, use PIMA. hahaha... Always good to learn more terminology.
    3. Uke on!
    My favorite piece of finger terminology is "chico" the 5th element of the PIMAC. I want to use the pinky merely for the reason that its name is chico.

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, prb035!

There is a nice guitar pro file of jingle bells. It is alternate bass (see the photo below). I play only with thumb and index finger. You need TuxGuitar (Free) or similar app to open the file.

http://gtptabs.com/tabs/3/christmas/...s-ukulele.html

Thank you ZZ, I will give this a try, much appreciated
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    There are so many different ways to approach fingerpicking I think once the basics are mastered it's probably up to the player to decide what feels right for them & what works for them. What suits one player may not suit another. I use thumb. index, middle & ring as a general rule, but when I play using an alternating bass style, I drop out the index finger, I didn't make a conscious decision to play this way, it simply evolved over time & it feels comfortable for me as it adjusts & regulates the spacing of the picking fingers to suit the available strings

Here a quick video, you'll notice that the index finger is not actually picking.

Thank so much for taking the time to share these techniques Campbell, I did try this method & found it to be quite a natural way to pick
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Camsuke,

beautifully picked. I do the same on guitar when i use a thumb pick. I find the index finger just feels too crowded

Thumb index and middle for me. Whether guitar or uke, thatís all Iíve been able to pick up. Especially since I always play alternating thumb, if I try to add fingers with a uke then I get double thumps on a string too often.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by sunshiNee View Post
    Camsuke,

beautifully picked. I do the same on guitar when i use a thumb pick. I find the index finger just feels too crowded
    My son uses the thumb, bird and ring fingers as well when he's picking acoustic guitar. I figure that's because when he plays his Tele, he holds a flat pick with his thumb and index and picks with the bird and ring fingers.

I use the index or index and bird when I'm using alternating thumb. Usually two fingers on guitar, but one on ukulele.

That's how it started with me - learning hybrid picking on the guitar and then dropping the pick when it came to the ukulele.

Thread Information