Low action

Fozzy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new uke. It's a rather gorgeous anuenue's ASOS Africa II. I had a pickup fitted the action is set at 2.5 no issue with buzzes or anything plays really well 99% of the time intonation is pretty much spot on. Great tone.
But I am finding when fretting lower down the neck (10th onwards) it's hard to fingerpick. The action is low enough I am mostly hitting the fret board when I pick. I try to aim for where the neck and body meet when I'm playing most of the time. Is this poor technique on my part/ because of the low action or because I'm not used to the instrument yet.
I could just try to pick lower down where I'm not having problems. The E string is also a touch quiet is this as a result of the setup as well.
If I wanted to raise the action again would I have to replace the compensated buffalo bone saddle to ensure it had good contact with the pick up. Not much of a single question just wanted to get people's thoughts! Try to sus things out! Thanks.

If you mainly play amplified and don't have buzzes, your low action is fine since you can play softer and let the amp work for you. However, for acoustic playing a little higher action usually results in more volume and, obviously, more dynamic range. As for fingerpicking, you can reduce or eliminate smacking or hitting the strings against the frets by keeping your finger stroke in the plane of the strings. Use a rest stroke for single notes: pluck in the plane of the strings and follow through until the finger rests against the adjacent string. If the stroke starts under the string and lifts up slightly the string will smack against the fret when you dig in.

If you do not like the action then put a 1mm shim under the bridge saddle.

Or if the design of the saddle is such that you cannot then get another one fitted.

If you mainly play amplified and don't have buzzes, your low action is fine since you can play softer and let the amp work for you. However, for acoustic playing a little higher action usually results in more volume and, obviously, more dynamic range. As for fingerpicking, you can reduce or eliminate smacking or hitting the strings against the frets by keeping your finger stroke in the plane of the strings. Use a rest stroke for single notes: pluck in the plane of the strings and follow through until the finger rests against the adjacent string. If the stroke starts under the string and lifts up slightly the string will smack against the fret when you dig in.

That's what I was thinking regarding playing plugged in. I practise acoustically at home though. I did think that there might be an element of bad habits I've picked up too that's very helpful thank you. I'll persevere for a little while and see how I get on!

If you do not like the action then put a 1mm shim under the bridge saddle.

Or if the design of the saddle is such that you cannot then get another one fitted.

Will that affect the piezo UST pickup (misi)?

Top Bottom