Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What every ukulele performer needs

Great post HH! It really makes a difference to have instruments covering different parts and difference voices. It really expands the sound palate and each instrument has its function. It is a much different experience than some of the all uke groups.

A bari sax or bass clarinet could be a sweet choice as well!

Groups I play with have a variety of additional instruments: bass, ubass, washtub bass, Cajon, kazoo, harmonica, egg shaker, steel guitar & steel/nylon string guitar.

Helps when some ukulele players fingerpick or strum on certain beats.

All of these instruments add to the overall sound. However, adding a bass (or tuba) seems to make the biggest difference.

The jam I run is mixed acoustic and while we get a lot of ukers, we also get plenty of guitars, usually a bass player, a harmonica or two, banjo, and sometimes violin and percussion. It’s an ok blend. I do like the idea though of a smaller group.
    My fav is playing with a mellow bluegrass (and a little old country/gospel) jam. They meet once a week in the afternoon, in a little gazebo in the park in downtown Arroyo Grande, CA. It’s about 6-8 players Usually a few guitars, a few banjos, a few mandolins. It would be even cooler if we had a fiddle, and upright bass.
    The most unusual jam i’ve been to was a little group in Oceano and I played with a guitar, a trombone and one of those keyboard things you blow into.

HH,

How are you doing? It is so good to hear from you.

John

Even Jake now performs with a bass player, makes a world of difference.

One of the group's I perform with had a Cajon player but she left. So a group member took up U-bass and the songs sound so much better with the bass added. We are fortunate to have bass and percussion players at the Uke Jams I attend. I have been to other jams that don't have it and the difference is noticable.

For you solo bedroom players......has anyone tried playing with drum or bass backing tracks???
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    For you solo bedroom players......has anyone tried playing with drum or bass backing tracks???
    I have tried playing with backing tracks, but they never seem to keep very good time!
    Happy to be a Newbie, Penny

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Howlin' Hobbit, great to have your musical wisdom and fellow military veteran back here in these here interwebs! I run 3 microphones, 2 'ukulele, 1 guitar and 1 u-bass through a battery powered Behringer Xenix 1002B mixer into a single battery powered Bose S1 Pro with great success! My gain staging experience and skills afford me the opportunity to entertain an audience up to 50 with a single Bose S1 Pro.

Thread Information