Anyone know of any reputable custom shops in Asia?

Spaghetti

Reaction score
I'd love to get something simple made like a '20s "Style 0" soprano.

I've had a few ukes custom made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam. I think they came out very well, even though one took a couple of years to open up. I recommend his work, but there have been some negative reviews in the past because he used to sell items by other lesser builders on his eBay site that tarnished his reputation, since he stopped that, his work shines.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I was going to pass on Vietnam only because it's a very humid country, and I didn't want to take a rick on woodwork from there.

Does Asada do custom makes?

Last edited:
Joji Yoshida Guitars/Ukulele in Okinawa one of the best builders in Japan....I know him and see him once a year but I can not find his website....he is on Facebook..tell him Len sent you..:)

I found his website
http://www.jojiyoshidaguitars.com/

here are some pictures of Joji's work
https://www.google.com/search?q=joj...iAhXHo54KHeaOAPIQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1366&bih=619

Agree, Joji's guitars and ukes are one of the best, he's super nice. I have two of his ukes and one guitar coming soon.

I'd love to get something simple made like a '20s "Style 0" soprano.

A 20's style 0 soprano isn't necessarily "simple".

Lots of people could make you a ukulele that LOOKS like a 20's style 0 yet if your fussy you will need to talk to someone with some expertise on the matter.
There are some very fine instruments coming out of Asia yet the question is, what are you really trying to buy?

A 20's style 0 soprano isn't necessarily "simple".

Lots of people could make you a ukulele that LOOKS like a 20's style 0 yet if your fussy you will need to talk to someone with some expertise on the matter.
There are some very fine instruments coming out of Asia yet the question is, what are you really trying to buy?

It's Martin's most basic/simple model they ever offered. Compared to their 5K … yes, I think it's extremely simple.

Maestro Guitars in Singapore build some mighty fine instruments. They have an order form for custom ukes on their web site.

It's Martin's most basic/simple model they ever offered. Compared to their 5K … yes, I think it's extremely simple.

My view is that this is a false assumption.
Doing simple things well if often the hardest things to do. I know this is a stereotype yet its doing the decoration very well that the Asian manufacturers have a reputation for.

Are you after an instrument that "looks" like a Martin type 0 or an instrument that "sounds"like a Martin type 0?
If you want an instrument that sounds like a vintage type 0 then this isn't simple at all and requires an experienced builder.

Maestro certainly builds some fine ukuleles although they don't come cheap. They usually cost more than a new Martin.

My view is that this is a false assumption.
Doing simple things well if often the hardest things to do. I know this is a stereotype yet its doing the decoration very well that the Asian manufacturers have a reputation for.

Are you after an instrument that "looks" like a Martin type 0 or an instrument that "sounds"like a Martin type 0?
If you want an instrument that sounds like a vintage type 0 then this isn't simple at all and requires an experienced builder.

Maestro certainly builds some fine ukuleles although they don't come cheap. They usually cost more than a new Martin.

Yes, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative, which is why I'd like to try Asia. I chose the Style 0 because it is simple enough to not screw up and it looks really handsome to me.

Yes, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative, which is why I'd like to try Asia. I chose the Style 0 because it is simple enough to not screw up and it looks really handsome to me.

OK, that's what I suspected and I have to disagree with your main premise. Truly, doing simple things well is the hardest of all.
Asian makers are known for their superb finishing and decorative work. Its not that some can't build great sounding instruments, Maestro is a superb builder but not cheap.

On this forum, Ken Timms who has the handle, timbuck is the master of Martin type Soprano ukuleles. http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com

Talk to him.

Last edited:
OK, that's what I suspected and I have to disagree with your main premise. Truly, doing simple things well is the hardest of all.
Asian makers are known for their superb finishing and decorative work. Its not that some can't build great sounding instruments, Maestro is a superb builder but not cheap.

On this forum, Ken Timms who has the handle, timbuck is the master of Martin type Soprano ukuleles. http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com

Talk to him.

Adjusted for inflation, that model would cost $25.81 today. It's unimaginable that with the technology we have in 2019, we can't easily build a Model 0 at a price comparable to when it was originally introduced.

Adjusted for inflation, that model would cost $25.81 today. It's unimaginable that with the technology we have in 2019, we can't easily build a Model 0 at a price comparable to when it was originally introduced.

Really? A Martin style 0 only cost the same as one hours wages for a working man/woman?
I don't believe that you have done the comparison properly. Still, if this is where your at then just buy a Makala Dolphin.
If you value a ukulele so lowly then there is no point in asking for advice here.

Top Bottom