Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of any reputable custom shops in Asia?

I don’t know if they do commissioned custom works, but check out the guys at The Rebel. Very sleek and understated design, with some wild “custom” creations over the years. This one was a notable standout for me: https://www.theukulelesite.com/rebel...enor-no-6.html
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    I don’t know if they do commissioned custom works, but check out the guys at The Rebel. Very sleek and understated design, with some wild “custom” creations over the years. This one was a notable standout for me: https://www.theukulelesite.com/rebel...enor-no-6.html
    Same guy who made ukes for Koaloha.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Same guy who made ukes for Koaloha.
    Yup! I can report similar quality in the Opio I just received. I’m also realizing—a bit late—that my recommendation is way too modern for what the OP was looking for! My bad!
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    A 20's style 0 soprano isn't necessarily "simple".

Lots of people could make you a ukulele that LOOKS like a 20's style 0 yet if your fussy you will need to talk to someone with some expertise on the matter.
    There are some very fine instruments coming out of Asia yet the question is, what are you really trying to buy?
    It's Martin's most basic/simple model they ever offered. Compared to their 5K … yes, I think it's extremely simple.

Maestro Guitars in Singapore build some mighty fine instruments. They have an order form for custom ukes on their web site.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    It's Martin's most basic/simple model they ever offered. Compared to their 5K … yes, I think it's extremely simple.
    My view is that this is a false assumption.
    Doing simple things well if often the hardest things to do. I know this is a stereotype yet its doing the decoration very well that the Asian manufacturers have a reputation for.

Are you after an instrument that "looks" like a Martin type 0 or an instrument that "sounds"like a Martin type 0?
    If you want an instrument that sounds like a vintage type 0 then this isn't simple at all and requires an experienced builder.

Maestro certainly builds some fine ukuleles although they don't come cheap. They usually cost more than a new Martin.

My view is that this is a false assumption.
    Doing simple things well if often the hardest things to do. I know this is a stereotype yet its doing the decoration very well that the Asian manufacturers have a reputation for.

Are you after an instrument that "looks" like a Martin type 0 or an instrument that "sounds"like a Martin type 0?
    If you want an instrument that sounds like a vintage type 0 then this isn't simple at all and requires an experienced builder.

Maestro certainly builds some fine ukuleles although they don't come cheap. They usually cost more than a new Martin.
    Yes, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative, which is why I'd like to try Asia. I chose the Style 0 because it is simple enough to not screw up and it looks really handsome to me.

Yes, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative, which is why I'd like to try Asia. I chose the Style 0 because it is simple enough to not screw up and it looks really handsome to me.
    OK, that's what I suspected and I have to disagree with your main premise. Truly, doing simple things well is the hardest of all.
    Asian makers are known for their superb finishing and decorative work. Its not that some can't build great sounding instruments, Maestro is a superb builder but not cheap.

On this forum, Ken Timms who has the handle, timbuck is the master of Martin type Soprano ukuleles. http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com

Talk to him.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 05-17-2019 at 10:08 PM.

OK, that's what I suspected and I have to disagree with your main premise. Truly, doing simple things well is the hardest of all.
    Asian makers are known for their superb finishing and decorative work. Its not that some can't build great sounding instruments, Maestro is a superb builder but not cheap.

On this forum, Ken Timms who has the handle, timbuck is the master of Martin type Soprano ukuleles. http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com

Talk to him.
    Adjusted for inflation, that model would cost $25.81 today. It's unimaginable that with the technology we have in 2019, we can't easily build a Model 0 at a price comparable to when it was originally introduced.

Adjusted for inflation, that model would cost $25.81 today. It's unimaginable that with the technology we have in 2019, we can't easily build a Model 0 at a price comparable to when it was originally introduced.
    Really? A Martin style 0 only cost the same as one hours wages for a working man/woman?
    I don't believe that you have done the comparison properly. Still, if this is where your at then just buy a Makala Dolphin.
    If you value a ukulele so lowly then there is no point in asking for advice here.

Thread Information