Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: having trouble strumming with just my index finger

Default having trouble strumming with just my index finger

My index finger keeps getting caught in the strings and making super harsh sounds. I know there are several ways to strum, but i like the soft clean strum of using just the index finger.

Any tips or things I should keep in mind while strumming? I've already watched the UU youtube video on strumming and cynthia lin's video on strumming :-/. also i know it's not an action issue as even on my risa uke stick i'm finding i have issues with strumming.
    Kala KA-15S (S), Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (T), RISA Uke Solid (T)

Waiting for:
    Bonanza Oreo (C)

If you are getting caught in the strings I would think that you are "digging in" too much. I would focus on brushing the strings lightly (doing it slowly) and practice increasing the downward force toward the strings until you find the sweet spot.

Is it any different if you were to try using your thumb?

Hi Florence, I too like to strum with my index finger. I get the greatest amount of security and consistency when I anchor my thumb lightly on the soundboard, and rather than "curling" my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, I let those three fingers extend straight out, as I strum with the index (I let them "flap in the breeze", so to speak).

Honestly, it is just something that comes with time and practice. My girlfriend is learning and is also heavy handed and strums loudly on random strings at random times. She's getting better, but it will come natural in time.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    If you are getting caught in the strings I would think that you are "digging in" too much. I would focus on brushing the strings lightly (doing it slowly) and practice increasing the downward force toward the strings until you find the sweet spot.

Is it any different if you were to try using your thumb?
    i don't have any issues with strumming with my thumb, but i find upward strums awkward using my thumb. I'll try focusing on brushing instead of digging :-/ i just feel like i'm not "getting it"

Waiting for:
    Bonanza Oreo (C)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle23 View Post
    Honestly, it is just something that comes with time and practice. My girlfriend is learning and is also heavy handed and strums loudly on random strings at random times. She's getting better, but it will come natural in time.
    i'm hoping it's just practice! i've been practicing for 2 months and it hasn't clicked yet with strumming

Waiting for:
    Bonanza Oreo (C)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Hi Florence, I too like to strum with my index finger. I get the greatest amount of security and consistency when I anchor my thumb lightly on the soundboard, and rather than "curling" my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, I let those three fingers extend straight out, as I strum with the index (I let them "flap in the breeze", so to speak).
    i have a hard time picturing how the thumb would rest on the soundboard as i strum, but i'll try not curling my middle, ring and pink fingers!

Waiting for:
    Bonanza Oreo (C)

Try a down stroke with the thumb and an upskoke with the index finger. Realize upstrokes are normally lighter and sound fine—often better—when you strike only two or three strings.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Try a down stroke with the thumb and an upskoke with the index finger. Realize upstrokes are normally lighter and sound fine—often better—when you strike only two or three strings.
    i will try this. Thank you!

Waiting for:
    Bonanza Oreo (C)

Hi Florence, here's a video that I found to be very helpful Good Luck!

Happy to be a Newbie, Penny

Thread Information