having trouble strumming with just my index finger

florencekim

Reaction score
My index finger keeps getting caught in the strings and making super harsh sounds. I know there are several ways to strum, but i like the soft clean strum of using just the index finger.

Any tips or things I should keep in mind while strumming? I've already watched the UU youtube video on strumming and cynthia lin's video on strumming :-/. also i know it's not an action issue as even on my risa uke stick i'm finding i have issues with strumming.

If you are getting caught in the strings I would think that you are "digging in" too much. I would focus on brushing the strings lightly (doing it slowly) and practice increasing the downward force toward the strings until you find the sweet spot.

Is it any different if you were to try using your thumb?

Hi Florence, I too like to strum with my index finger. I get the greatest amount of security and consistency when I anchor my thumb lightly on the soundboard, and rather than "curling" my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, I let those three fingers extend straight out, as I strum with the index (I let them "flap in the breeze", so to speak).

Honestly, it is just something that comes with time and practice. My girlfriend is learning and is also heavy handed and strums loudly on random strings at random times. She's getting better, but it will come natural in time.

If you are getting caught in the strings I would think that you are "digging in" too much. I would focus on brushing the strings lightly (doing it slowly) and practice increasing the downward force toward the strings until you find the sweet spot.

Is it any different if you were to try using your thumb?

i don't have any issues with strumming with my thumb, but i find upward strums awkward using my thumb. I'll try focusing on brushing instead of digging :-/ i just feel like i'm not "getting it"

Honestly, it is just something that comes with time and practice. My girlfriend is learning and is also heavy handed and strums loudly on random strings at random times. She's getting better, but it will come natural in time.

i'm hoping it's just practice! i've been practicing for 2 months and it hasn't clicked yet with strumming

Hi Florence, I too like to strum with my index finger. I get the greatest amount of security and consistency when I anchor my thumb lightly on the soundboard, and rather than "curling" my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, I let those three fingers extend straight out, as I strum with the index (I let them "flap in the breeze", so to speak).

i have a hard time picturing how the thumb would rest on the soundboard as i strum, but i'll try not curling my middle, ring and pink fingers!

Try a down stroke with the thumb and an upskoke with the index finger. Realize upstrokes are normally lighter and sound fine—often better—when you strike only two or three strings.

i will try this. Thank you!

I like strumming with my index finger the most, though I often use my thumb. One reason is I can vary the volume easily.

A couple of things to observe (and experiment with... or change): Your forearm and wrist should be contributing to the strum motion... if these are stationary then the angle of the finger to the strings changes over the four strings and is more easily caught in the strings. I use the back of my nail to strum and am closer to a "flat" versus "perpendicular" angle with the strings and ukulele face. There is no way to catch the strings if I make a really flat angle when strumming across the strings.

Good luck on figuring this out so that you can move on.

I try to use only my index finger; but it has repeatedly been pointed out to me that I use ALL of my fingers at random, depending on the strum, the changes and the way I feel at that particular moment! Persevere, if index finger is your goal, you will get there! Just have fun and stick with it.

I have been lately doing some keyboard stuff learning and it asks my fingernails being short. This way I can't get much sound from downstrums, even if i keep index nail slightly longer than others. Usually though with nails get stuck is with fingerpicking and not strumming. But try filing them anyways.

Someone who takes a pick in his/her hand gets a double volume for sure. Only I don't need my apartment neighbours to hear. Finger strums are enough.

The trick for me when I learned how to strum with just an index finger is to relax your hand and to brush lightly across the strings. I suggest you set a free metronome on your computer to a nice slow 40 beats and do a light down-stroke on the beat and and the upstroke between the beats. As you get better, and your strum start sounding better, balanced, and more natural, just start slowly increasing the speed. Some folks strum well with all fingers spread open, some with just their index finger sticking out, and some that are like me, which is that I just listen and whatever is working for a particular song I do. Hope this helps you.

Not sure if it is at all proper technique, but when I strum (also with just my index finger), I find most of the movement happening is from my wrist to my finger tip.

What I mean by this is I try to move my forearm at the elbow as little as possible, flick my wrist to get my fingers moving across the string area, and rely on my hand opening to flick the strings with my index finger on the down stroke while I close my hand again on the upstroke, brushing the strings with my index finger in the process. That said, find what works for you. There is no “right” way to do anything, just ways that offer different results.

As others suggest, slow down the motion to a speed where you can accurately make the strums each ring out clearly, then work on gradually building the tempo up. Don’t try to just jump into playing songs without ironing out the basics. You’re only asking for a world of frustration and building bad habits to force the result.

I’ve heard it said here and elsewhere many times, but no practice is better than inefficient practice. Repetition, reinforcement, and evaluation of what you just did are the key. It may be boring at first, but when you’re playing the way you want to sound, it will make all that hard work well worth the effort.

Keep us posted on your progress, and best of luck!

Not sure if it is at all proper technique, but when I strum (also with just my index finger), I find most of the movement happening is from my wrist to my finger tip.

What I mean by this is I try to move my forearm at the elbow as little as possible, flick my wrist to get my fingers moving across the string area, and rely on my hand opening to flick the strings with my index finger on the down stroke while I close my hand again on the upstroke, brushing the strings with my index finger in the process. That said, find what works for you. There is no “right” way to do anything, just ways that offer different results.

As others suggest, slow down the motion to a speed where you can accurately make the strums each ring out clearly, then work on gradually building the tempo up. Don’t try to just jump into playing songs without ironing out the basics. You’re only asking for a world of frustration and building bad habits to force the result.

I’ve heard it said here and elsewhere many times, but no practice is better than inefficient practice. Repetition, reinforcement, and evaluation of what you just did are the key. It may be boring at first, but when you’re playing the way you want to sound, it will make all that hard work well worth the effort.

Keep us posted on your progress, and best of luck!

I agree with the above. I don't agree with that video, by the way. One little trick you can try, early on when I was just starting out I was having the same problem. If you stand up and play without a strap, it forces you to hold the ukulele with your forearm and you will naturally play from the wrist instead of the elbow, which he said causes the digging in. Worth a try. It worked for me.

I agree with the above. I don't agree with that video, by the way. One little trick you can try, early on when I was just starting out I was having the same problem. If you stand up and play without a strap, it forces you to hold the ukulele with your forearm and you will naturally play from the wrist instead of the elbow, which he said causes the digging in. Worth a try. It worked for me.

interesting. when i took a private lesson, i was told that my strumming should also include movement in my elbow. I haven't tried playing standing up, but i'll give it a shot. Thank you!

interesting. when i took a private lesson, i was told that my strumming should also include movement in my elbow. I haven't tried playing standing up, but i'll give it a shot. Thank you!

It’s not that your elbow doesn’t move at all, it is just very minor movement.

Think ~10% of the total movement is in your elbow/forearm, 30-40% wrist, and the remainder in that hand flicking and closing action. Hope that helps

That is what is so wonderfully confusing about playing the ukulele. Everybody has their own ways of playing it. You just have to find out what works for you. Try it, if it doesn't work you've not lost much.

Compared to yesterday, I can get today quite good sound with just my index finger moving, cause nail has grown heh.

But in general the finger moves, wrist moves/rotates slightly and also there is forearm movement starting from elbow joint. All in combo.

About if keeping other fingers opened or curved in a gentle "fist":
I did play initially quite a long time with straight fingers. It was so natural to me. But I started to examine how it sometimes lead to my index finger hitting strings too sideways and was not producing then the most volume it could. Also maybe those other fingers take some wrist/elbow forearm momentum away. That is why I changed and now play with others fingers slightly fisted when index fingers strumming.

As much as I like Cynthia's other videos as a good player she is, the one provided in this thread I just don't agree or like much.

Last edited:
I do not agree you should move your arm much. Most of the action comes from the wrist.

Top Bottom