having trouble strumming with just my index finger

I do not agree you should move your arm much. Most of the action comes from the wrist.

You can disagree how much you like. Think that we are not like some heavy metal wierdos, who even want lock their palm to get most out of a single string speed haha.
With a strap you can even let the elbow joint move if you want. But the basic campfire strumming needs definately that forearm moving and rotating for sure from elbow joint.

Continuing
It looks very cool keeping other fingers straight though. And if I'd take a pick in my hand and strum with an acoustic guitar I'd do that too. Pick does not need that much energy and various small movements there too.

Also consider how good and funny it will look if go all the way to hillbilly. Have a strap and your whole arm moves from shoulder :p

“Pretend there is paint on your fingertip and you’re trying to remove with the strum” Maybe that was mentioned, but it helps. Also practice, practice. I find strumming with my hand open, but index curled loose and relaxed for the contact, feels better to me than closed loose fist and index relaxed and curled. Lot of good advice, but just keep at it. Things will just all of a sudden click.

Last edited:
This is the position I teach all my beginners. This actually gives one more leverage, as Cynthia Lyn noted. It also has the effect of shortening the finger, pulling it back out of the strings a little.

strum hold.jpg

Try a down stroke with the thumb and an upskoke with the index finger. Realize upstrokes are normally lighter and sound fine—often better—when you strike only two or three strings.

+1 on this

Top Bottom