Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Anybody try low G and not like it?

This is great if you get the right uke for it. Some ukes are almost stressed-sounding at standard pitch.

Like a few others have stated in this thread - I really want to like the low G but every time I try it I’m back with a high G before too long.
    Might sound a bit simplistic but a Uke sounds more like a Uke with a high G string fitted in my opinion.

I'm joining with everyone else saying it depends on song and style. To me picking sounds much better with low g and strumming sounds better with high (especially since low g sounds a little off in a group). I can fingerpick songs originally done for guitar that sound great in low g, but godawful in high. Like you can't even recognize the tune bad. I have one of each uke, but since I like picking, the low g gets used most.
    I think for some people it depends on uke size as well. I don't hear low on many sopranos, but I do on lots of tenors. I have a cedar top concert that still has that deep, rich tone that I like with a low g. Yes, I know some people will say "play a guitar," but my hands aren't anywhere big enough.
    Just play around and see what you like. From your original post, it sounds like you just prefer high g
    Have fun!
    Last edited by captain-janeway; 05-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

If you're playing melodies, and hanging around first position chords, the low G string is really necessary unless you fudge on the melody lines a lot. Of course, if your up on the fretboard, it doesn't make so much difference. If you're strumming chords without picking the melody, then re-entrant sounds better on a lot of tunes. I've noticed that when auditioning new material. Sometimes the low G string just kills the chord.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I first tried low G when I bought a slightly used Pono Pro Class Cedar/Macassar Tenor. I liked the sound but found the low G to be a bit overwhelming. Later I experimented with Low G on a number of different string and uke combos. I din't really warm to low g til I started using the Freemont Soloist for the Low G. I also found that some ukes just dont seem to work for low G for me no matter what strings I try.

I current have the following strung low g that I really like:
    Pono Pro Classic Spruce/Rosewood Concert - Freemont Soloist w/Worth Browns
    Kala KA-SRT-MA (Aratani Model) Spruce / Rosewood Tenor - Freemont Solist / Aquilas Nylgut. i think it came with all Nylguts, and I decided to try the low g based on favorable posts about it. It works well, and all the strings feel well balanced.
    Pono Pro Classic Cedar/Macassar Ebony - this was my 1st low g uke, bought used, strung with Thomastik-Infeld CF-30 and CF-27 Chrome Steel flat wound strings for the Low G and C strings, and Oasis Fluorocarbon Brights for the E and A sound good; the string all sound great, but I found the G to overwhelm the other strings a bit, and am thinking of switchiing it to a Soloist for the low g, and the oasis for the remaining strings.

I've tried a few different low Gs that I disliked intensely. I bougt an Ohana 470G Spruce/Rosewood concert uke from Mim and had her set it up with all flurocarbons (Worh Clears) in low G and boy did I HATE it. The low-g felt jangly and loud and didn't mesh with the other string at all to my ear. I swapped the flurocarbon low g for a re-entrant G, and now I love that little uke (its my go to concert uke for travel). Another low-G I really hated: the Aquila Red low G that was on my Koaloha Spruce top Opio when I got it (yuck, it sounded oogy and felt weird and scratchy); I ended up switching it to all Worth Browns w/re-entrant tuning. Now I like that little uke quite a bit (although I don't like its friction tuners at all, blech).

I think the key to low g is finding the strings for the uke/tonewood in question that is balanced well with the other 3 strings, and that sings to your ear. Plus I think the song has to suit it. Some songs just sound better in low-g, some either way, and some work better re-entrant (in my humble noob opinion).
    Last edited by shanmoon; 06-14-2019 at 04:30 AM.
    UAS!!!
    One day I will be worthy!
    • Kamaka HB-2D Ohta San, 5.0 P/U
    • Anuenue UC200E Moon Bird-My Fav!
    • Kanile'a Custom Baritone
    • Kala KA-SRT/MA, Michael Aratani Model,5.0 P/U, g
    • Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor
    • Anuenue UT200E Tenor Moon Bird
    • Firefly Concert Banjolele
    • Kanile'a KPA-C-PREM Concert
    • Anuenue UT140 Light Bird, AirAir P/U, g
    • Anuenue US200 Moon Bird
    • 2nd Anuenue UC200E Moon Bird, g ,my other Fav!
    • Uluru Lehua IIICX
    • Cocobolo Tenor #399
    • Mya Moe Myrtle Tenor #990

I switched one of my concerts to low G with a wound G string. I hated it at first, but I’m slowly warming to it as I found some songs with a finger picked syncopated pattern sound passable fair with a low G. I don’t like it strummed, however, as the dang wound string squeaks on my fingernails.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymics Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

I’ve gotten darn tired of the wound low G strings breaking. So now I’m only using the Aquila Reds. So far, none have broken, and I’ve had a couple of them on Ukes for a couple of years. And, I think they sound OK.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I used only high G tuning for many years. Every now and then I'd string up a uke with low G and try it a while but it never sounded "ukey" enough. I would also try low G on different ukes and it was amazing how the sound of each instrument changed. I finally came across a tune I wanted to play that sounded best with low G (Pink Floyd's Brain Damage). So right now I've settled on one uke strung low G, and it's one that I never thought of using low G tuning on. Never say never.
    Do it again on the next verse, and people think you meant it. ― Chet Atkins

Talsma spruce-koa tenor |*| Pohaku mahogany tenor |*| PoMahina mango tenor |*| Wm.King koa tenor |*| Ko'olau cedar-koa 6-string tenor |*| Kanilea cedar/walnut Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o-reno View Post
    I used only high G tuning for many years. Every now and then I'd string up a uke with low G and try it a while but it never sounded "ukey" enough. I would also try low G on different ukes and it was amazing how the sound of each instrument changed. I finally came across a tune I wanted to play that sounded best with low G (Pink Floyd's Brain Damage). So right now I've settled on one uke strung low G, and it's one that I never thought of using low G tuning on. Never say never.
    You don't happen to have a fingerpicking style tab for Brain Damage do you? Bet it could sound awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by shanmoon View Post
    You don't happen to have a fingerpicking style tab for Brain Damage do you? Bet it could sound awesome!
    No tab needed. Just play along with the song it's a very easy pattern. Though I much prefer to play it on my 12 string guitar ...

Thread Information