Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Anybody try low G and not like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Ukepicker View Post
    I have tried Low G several times and each time at the end I have let down.
    I also play guitar and I do not find any interest to play a low G ukulele. It sounds to me like a guitar with 2 broken strings.
    Same feeling with baritone ukulele. I only like baritone uke when tuned re-entrant.
    I have my baritone tuned re-entrant - so I do have a low G uke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    I'd probably enjoy listening to you play it with a low g. I just don't like listening to myself play with low g. It's just a personal thing, but I feel like I've sucked the personality out of my ukulele when I string a low g. I don't think this thread was meant to discourage people who like low g. You should always go for what makes you happy. It's more of a discussion for those of us who had misfortune with the low g experience.
    My opinion too. I also think it has a lot to do with how you identify yourself as a ukulele player.
    Last edited by Rllink; 05-19-2019 at 04:30 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Well, here I go . . . I sorta think of a ukulele as a “my dog has fleas” instrument. Fun to strum and sing at the beach under a palm tree, or in a canoe bobbing along at the lake, or by a blazing campfire. But I’ve always found the low G to be “boomy” when strummed. There’s supposed to be a way to stop boominess, but I’ve never found it. I guess the low G is okay for fingerpicking, but if one is gonna fingerpick, maybe a baritone uke or tenor guitar would be a better pick.

I have two ukes tuned in fifths, and I don’t really even like that too much, though I fingerpick them. I wonder why we buy an instrument that we like and then change everything that we can on it.

“What fools these mortals be . . .” My thanks to my ol’ pal, Seneca.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I guess the low G is okay for fingerpicking, but if one is gonna fingerpick, maybe a baritone uke or tenor guitar would be a better pick.

I wonder why we buy an instrument that we like and then change everything that we can on it.
    Hope you don't mind me taking a couple sentences out of your post. I don't think that takes anything out of context.

I hear someone like Daniel Ho or Jake play, and don't think to myself that they should play a different instrument. Fingerpicking can work wonderfully on ukuleles.

Anything larger than a concert sized neck doesn't work for my fingers, which have had some injuries in the past. But since I can't sing, (I think the neighborhood has banned me, LOL), and I wouldn't be content to just strum chords with no singing, fingerpicking on a uke is very enjoyable for me.

A lot of ukuleles were built to be low g. Ohta Sans seem to be built for low g. (I know I'll be corrected by someone who knows more if I'm wrong.) Seems like a lot of the luthiers also build specifically to low g. So, if I buy some of those ukuleles, I'd actually be changing it if I made it reentrant. As far as fingerpicking goes, Kamaka says that the Ohta San "was designed primarily for fingerpicking purposes." So, no need to play guitar if you want to fingerpick. Kamaka agrees.

I think one of the very cool things about ukulele is how versatile it is. Lots of possible tunings, (I use both high and low g, but some of you use others, too), lots of ways to play it, lots of styles of music can work on it, and it's just a great hobby. Pretty amazing what that little 4 stringed instrument is capable of.

I really admire those of you who can strum and sing. Wish I could. But I'm also happy that I have the enjoyment of working on fingerpicking. As a friend once said to me, when he needed to change instruments due to health problems and pain issues, it's all about the music, not the instrument.

So, enjoy making music on your ukulele, no matter what size, type, tuning, or style.

Well, Joyful, if I may call you that. One can play or change anything as he/she pleases. If they pay the money, they can make a birdhouse out of it.

I was just answering the question of this thread. But how do ya take a shower if ya can’t sing? Anyway, keep on pickin’.

But how do ya take a shower if ya can’t sing? Anyway, keep on pickin’.
    Quietly. :-)

Don't want the neighbors banging on my door complaining about noise pollution while I'm in the shower.

I do recognize that you're just answering the thread, and a lot of people agree that low g isn't to their liking. Like I say, it's a cool thing that the ukulele can be so versatile and we all can enjoy it in different ways.

I just pulled out a high g ukulele, and will be playing that right now, in honor of this thread. :-)

Since ya got yer ol’ strummin’ uke out, go in the bath room, turn on the shower, flush the toilet and belt out a line two. No body can sing until they “Just do it!”.

Besides, who cares whether you sing well or not. Singin’, like medicine, is good for you. Pick a silly song like “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” and let ‘er rip.

Soon enough you’ll be dead and never have had the fun of beltin’ out a rip roarin’ song or two — go for it!

By the way, when I play my new (second hand - gift) cornet, I go in my wife’s big closet full of clothes and blast away.

I’m practicing to play a duet with Gabriel.

Well, here I go . . . I sorta think of a ukulele as a “my dog has fleas” instrument. Fun to strum and sing at the beach under a palm tree, or in a canoe bobbing along at the lake, or by a blazing campfire. But I’ve always found the low G to be “boomy” when strummed. There’s supposed to be a way to stop boominess, but I’ve never found it. I guess the low G is okay for fingerpicking, but if one is gonna fingerpick, maybe a baritone uke or tenor guitar would be a better pick.

I have two ukes tuned in fifths, and I don’t really even like that too much, though I fingerpick them. I wonder why we buy an instrument that we like and then change everything that we can on it.

“What fools these mortals be . . .” My thanks to my ol’ pal, Seneca.
    I usually finger pick or play chord melodies on my Concert and travel Sopranissimo. No need for a Tenor or Baritone for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Quietly. :-)

Don't want the neighbors banging on my door complaining about noise pollution while I'm in the shower.

I do recognize that you're just answering the thread, and a lot of people agree that low g isn't to their liking. Like I say, it's a cool thing that the ukulele can be so versatile and we all can enjoy it in different ways.

I just pulled out a high g ukulele, and will be playing that right now, in honor of this thread. :-)
    I love to sing, karaoke. Don't care for singing while playing a ukulele. Also can't concern myself too much about my lack of a singing voice. It was bad luck, however, when my slot for karaoke last time came up right after an amazing singer. I really didn't need that comparison moment.

Thread Information