Kamaka HF-3L, strings

arktrav

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a, "new to me", Kamaka HF-3L. I am curious, with yours, did you go with baritone strings or tenor, with High G, Low G, High D or Low D?

It now has Worth brown Low G with a beautiful sound. I thought I might experiment depending upon what you all say.

Thanks, J.C. Bryant

My HF-3L is my re-entrant instrument, so mine is strung with high G brown Worth strings (concert). I use concert strings because the lower tension facilitates ornamentations (string bends, glissandi) that I like.

My HF-3L is my re-entrant instrument, so mine is strung with high G brown Worth strings (concert). I use concert strings because the lower tension facilitates ornamentations (string bends, glissandi) that I like.

This is a good answer because it sheds light on tension. Because the 19" scale is 2" longer then a normal tenor it will have a higher string tension. You do not want to go baritone gauge strings, they are thicker and will be even higher tension unless you tune it DGBE. Use any tenor gauge string you like or concert gauge for lighter tension as riprock above does.

This is a good answer because it sheds light on tension. Because the 19" scale is 2" longer then a normal tenor it will have a higher string tension. You do not want to go baritone gauge strings, they are thicker and will be even higher tension unless you tune it DGBE. Use any tenor gauge string you like or concert gauge for lighter tension as riprock above does.

Whats the difference in sound with lighter tension? I noticed my Kanliea's tension is very high with Worth clear tenor strings and would like to give the concert strings a try, but I don't want too much of a sound difference.

Edit - Woooo 1,000th post.

from what I've noticed, lighter tension doesn't alter the sound, there's just less of it. It isn't as loud nor resonant, which doesn't bother me since I would palm mute an overly loud or resonant uke.

Whats the difference in sound with lighter tension? I noticed my Kanliea's tension is very high with Worth clear tenor strings and would like to give the concert strings a try, but I don't want too much of a sound difference.

Edit - Woooo 1,000th post.

Common opinion is a lighter gauge will give more sustain. Less tension allows the string to vibrate more and longer. The sound will be brighter but volume will be less. These are generalizations and I have experienced some, all or none of this when going to a lighter gauge string. Individual instruments can be a law all unto themselves. Certainly worth a try.

thanks everyone, I very much appreciate your thoughts. It sounds great now, in "low G". I will keep it there fro a awhile, but I really like the reintrant sound, too!

So, help me understand. Is the Kamaka HF-3L a tenor with a long neck or a baritone with a smaller body? Does the 19" scale make it a baritone, so far as the strings are concerned?

So, help me understand. Is the Kamaka HF-3L a tenor with a long neck or a baritone with a smaller body? Does the 19" scale make it a baritone, so far as the strings are concerned?

The "3" series is a tenor size body so this is a tenor instrument with a longer than standard scale length. Standard tenor is 17" yours is 19", hence the term long neck. Kamaka baritone, which is a bigger body is "4" series and the scale length is now 20-1/4", I own one, HF-4. Many years ago Kamaka baritones had a 19" scale lenght and this is where some confusion can occur, but still had the larger baritone body.

Top Bottom