Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: High-quality solid concert “beater”

Default WTB: High-quality solid concert “beater”

I have my eyes open for a uke that I can take anywhere without worry, but that will play great. The uglier the better! Scratches, dings, finish flaws, screw holes, repaired cracks… I’m open to anything as long as the quality is good and it feels and sounds nice.

I’m looking for:
    • Concert size
    • All solid wood back and sides (open to different woods)
    • High-quality build
    • Ready to play (not looking for a project)
    • Hardshell case (open to buying one separately of course, but thought I’d ask)

No specific budget in mind—I'll pay a fair price based on the quality and imperfections—I’m just curious what this group might have. Thanks in advance!

Update: I’ve decided I’m open to a tenor also. No soprano or baritone please.
    Last edited by Shaw; 05-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.

sent you a pm

You know a "beater" is as much a state of mind as it is a physical thing. You could just buy a concert you like then "beat" it. The physical appearance will come over time and reflect all your experiences with it. Prime example, Willie Nelson didn't find Trigger, he ended up with it.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogfingers View Post
    sent you a pm
    Thanks for the PM. I sent you one back.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    You know a "beater" is as much a state of mind as it is a physical thing. You could just buy a concert you like then "beat" it. The physical appearance will come over time and reflect all your experiences with it. Prime example, Willie Nelson didn't find Trigger, he ended up with it.
    Fantastic point and I definitely respect that. I love seeing that kind of character develop in an heirloom object, but I’m not there yet on my ukulele journey. I travel a lot and will probably be moving every couple years for a good stretch, so chances are good that a solid wood instrument might get ruined in the process, but I’m a glutton for good feel, tone, and sustain. I also have a touch of the OCD and have a hard time putting the first scratch on a new instrument, but don’t mind it if someone else has. Throw in a dash of cheap, and that’s my case for finding pleasure in an imperfect player.

Updated to reflect that I’m also open to a tenor. Thanks!

I'm UK based and guessing you're overseas but I have the "beater" in my signature. PM sent - probably isn't what you're looking for, still in great condition, but messaged anyway.
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 05-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C • Kai KCI-5000 acacia
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

I've got an Ohana CK-470G, it's a limited edition solid wood, spruce top, rosewood body, gloss, with an L.R. Baggs pickup. Bought it a few months ago from Mim. It was sold as b-stock due to some faint scratches in the gloss on the headstock and back that she almostly completely buffed out, if you are interested. It's a very nice little uke, but I have 3 concerts with this tonewood combo (the ohana, a moon bird, and a pono), which is a bit excessive even for my extreme UAS!
    UAS!!!
    • Kamaka HB-2D Ohta San, 5.0 P/U
    • Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-My Favorite!
    • Kanile'a Custom Baritone, gCEA
    • Kala KA-SRT/MA, Michael Aratani Model, 5.0 P/U, gCEA
    • Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor
    • Anuenue UT200E Tenor Moon Bird
    • Firefly Concert Banjolele
    • Kanile'a KPA-C-PREM Concert
    • Anuenue UT140 Tenor Light Bird, AirAir P/U, gCEA
    • Anuenue US200 Soprano Moon Bird
    • 2nd Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-, lowG, my other Fav!

Responded to your PMs. Thanks!

I’ve got a Mele solid mahogany pineapple concert for sale. Nice shape, not perfect. Nice heavily padded gig case. $225 shipped conus
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information