He Got a Martin Model 2 Tenor

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I went to a practice session last night, and a guy had his brand new uke - a Martin Model 2 tenor. He's a good player, and he absolutely loves it. The funny thing is that he kept justifying the purchase to us. He used me as an example of why he should just buy what he wants.

Someone else in the group has a concert model of that uke, and he thinks it's the best-sounding uke he's ever heard. He listened to a dozen of them before he bought his concert.

I see they're making the Model 5k again, but for $5,000 I could buy lots of other things.

For $5000 I would have to justify to my Wife precisely why she should refrain from causing me a significant physical injury.

$5k for a soprano? Totally worth it. Or perhaps a used model?

$5k for a soprano? Totally worth it. Or perhaps a used model?

You can get a new Model 5 from authorized dealers for the bargain price of $4399.00 including case. Wow. The higher end Martins do retain their price though. But I'm going to pass. Besides I have my Soprano - the Martin Style 2. And not as pricey double :) :)

Last edited:
If you got the money why not?

I'd be afraid to play something that valuable, but I guess I'll go be poor somewhere else.

I went to a practice session last night, and a guy had his brand new uke - a Martin Model 2 tenor. The funny thing is that he kept justifying the purchase to us.

Someone else in the group has a concert model of that uke, and he thinks it's the best-sounding uke he's ever heard.

I seems to have the same problem that I can’t stop boosting about my S1 and C1K. Could be the Martin smell from sound hole?

You can look at my signature and tell I'm a huge Martin ukulele fan, well, I guess that's an understatement. My opinion, but I think Martin is building some of the best ukuleles that they've ever built. I'm also just a huge fan of the sound. I have one last Martin ukulele to add to my collection and that is a 5K. I'll get that hopefully sometime in 2020. Of my Martin tenors, my favorite is the 1T IZ, I only have one concert - a Martin 3K Custom and then with my Martin sopranos, right now, my favorite is the Martin Konter with the Martin 2K a very close second.

Jim

You can look at my signature and tell I'm a huge Martin ukulele fan, well, I guess that's an understatement. My opinion, but I think Martin is building some of the best ukuleles that they've ever built. I'm also just a huge fan of the sound. I have one last Martin ukulele to add to my collection and that is a 5K. I'll get that hopefully sometime in 2020. Of my Martin tenors, my favorite is the 1T IZ, I only have one concert - a Martin 3K Custom and then with my Martin sopranos, right now, my favorite is the Martin Konter with the Martin 2K a very close second.

Jim

Yes, that's a nice collection indeed! I feel fortunate to own a nice T1K tenor and a vintage 40's Style 0. After I play my tenors for awhile, and come back to the old Style 0, I'm always amazed by sweet tone and volume that comes out of that little guy!

Jim

You have an enviable collection. I like the 3Ks and the Konter. I have a Martin IZ for sale, but I'm having second thoughts. You prefer that to the 3K tenor? I have two sopranos, and old and a new.

Jim
I played the Martin IZ Tenor and did really like it. It has wonderful action and was very easy to play. Plus my Marin Style 2 Soprano is one of the ukes "I'd save."

I played the Martin IZ Tenor and did really like it. It has wonderful action and was very easy to play. Plus my Marin Style 2 Soprano is one of the ukes "I'd save."

While mine was on order, I went to a uke event in NJ featuring Kimo Hussy. During the break, there were several dozen people milling around in this private house, and I saw an IZ tenor sitting alone on a table. I wouldn't touch it, but I saw the owner later, and he loved it. I have 56 ukes, and I'm trying to cut back. Over a period of a couple of weeks, I sold five, but I bought five more in that same time period. I have no sales resistance at all. Only the lack of a usable credit card will stop my buying. :D

You prefer that to the 3K tenor?

I do like the 3K tenor and the tone is fantastic. However, the 1T IZ just feels so good, it doesn’t resist playing and just resonates with classic Martin tone and feels so good and easy to play. That being said, the mahogany sound is different than Koa and the 3K just gets better and better the more you play it.

Jim

Wow, thats crazy!

Here I am feeling self conscious over a 1400 dollar Kamaka, like I'm not worthy.

I know instruments run into the thousands, and I wouldn't be surprised at a 5k guitar... but a 5k Uke, wow!

Does Martin make good Ukes? They're the first ones I think of when I consider acoustic guitars, but not Ukuleles.

Learn something new on these forums everyday!

Wow, thats crazy!

Here I am feeling self conscious over a 1400 dollar Kamaka, like I'm not worthy.

I know instruments run into the thousands, and I wouldn't be surprised at a 5k guitar... but a 5k Uke, wow!

Does Martin make good Ukes? They're the first ones I think of when I consider acoustic guitars, but not Ukuleles.

Learn something new on these forums everyday!

Yes, Martin makes good ukes. Some people think they make the best in the world. I know a guy who wanted a good, expensive uke, and he tried all the major brands. He bought a Martin. When guitars weren't selling well in the early twentieth century, it was their ukulele business that kept Martin afloat.

Top Bottom