Kumalae pegs?- Anyone have/know where to get a matching peg?

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Asking for a friend who wants 4 matching original pegs.
(The light coloured one needs replacing)
thanks

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 9.14.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 9.14.49 AM.jpg

I'm sure the dark pegs aren't original. The light one might be, but I doubt that either.

My own Kumalae has much lighter pegs, and the buttons look to be hand carved, not turned. Crude in comparison. I did research when i got it, and the descriptions i found of the original pegs matched mine.

What I think your friend has are violin pegs - the pearl dot is commonplace. I'd simply buy a set of 1/8 pegs (maybe 1/4, but I think 1/8 is more likely) and keep the old ones in case they are original - who knows what Kumulae used over the years?

Dark pegs with pearl dots should be easy to find.

If you buy new violin pegs, measure first. I bought a set of 1/8 pegs and they are too small for any of my rescues.
The Samuel Osborne I have has light colored wooden pegs but are machined. I have a couple of hand carved ones, that now have a history.

I tend to agree that the slotted peg is likely the original. Here is an image of the pegs from and old Kumalae that has been knocking around my shop that I plan to restore at some point. The larger lighter one has a hole drilled in it rather than being slotted.image1.jpg Seems like the head on these is smaller that what you have. Could be hard to find something that matched. Might be easier to make one using your drill-press as a lathe. My plan was to whittle the larger one down and stain them all with an ebony water based stain.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if this is unhelpful or unwanted. I remembered and was able to find a video from a woodworking forum from a number of years ago. I found it very interesting at the time and thought it might be helpful if someone wanted to figure out how to turn something to perhaps match an old peg. I don’t know Bob, and he doesn’t seem to be active on the channel anymore, but hopefully you find this as interesting as I did.

Top Bottom