Wanted: Clear, Adhesive, Non-Damaging Pickguard Material

When I bought a used MyaMoe koa tenor ukulele it came with a clear mylar pick guard on it. It is so clear, it’s hard to see that it’s even there.

Brian, the person I bought the uke from, said that he and several people at the Reno Uke Group he belongs to, buy the self-adhesive mylar material from StewMac and then has a local luthier, Terry Webb of Sundance Guitars, install it on the instrument. It looks excellent and protects the wood of the top.

He also told me that the luthier can also remove the material without problems. I can’t vouch for that, because I haven’t had one removed.

www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/Clear_Pickguard_Materials_Set_of_4.html

StewMac charges $20 for a pack of 4. Plus shipping.

Here's a photo he sent me showing the pickguard. There is a VERY fine, light line going from the top edge of the bridge to the right edge of the uke. It's trimmed around the rosette and extends upwards to about 1/4" of the top edge of the bout following the curve of the right side down to the horizontal line from the bridge.

View attachment 118138

Thanks. I'll look at that. I found some pieces of LCD protectors today, and I experimented putting them on and off the wooden furniture. No problem. I'm not rushing into this, though.

I like your "signature."

When I bought a used MyaMoe koa tenor ukulele it came with a clear mylar pick guard on it. It is so clear, it’s hard to see that it’s even there.

Brian, the person I bought the uke from, said that he and several people at the Reno Uke Group he belongs to, buy the self-adhesive mylar material from StewMac and then has a local luthier, Terry Webb of Sundance Guitars, install it on the instrument. It looks excellent and protects the wood of the top.

He also told me that the luthier can also remove the material without problems. I can’t vouch for that, because I haven’t had one removed.

www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/Clear_Pickguard_Materials_Set_of_4.html

Here's a photo he sent me showing the pickguard. There is a VERY fine, light line going from the top edge of the bridge to the right edge of the uke. It's trimmed around the rosette and extends upwards to about 1/4" of the top edge of the bout following the curve of the right side down to the horizontal line from the bridge.

View attachment 118138

Thanks. I'll look at that. I found some pieces of LCD protectors today, and I experimented putting them on and off the wooden furniture. No problem. I'm not rushing into this, though.

I like your "signature."

That looks great - since I can't see it. :)

I'm at the point where I'm wondering about paying StewMac $39.95 for free shipping. Will I buy enough to make it worthwhile. I just paid $10 in shipping for strap buttons. Will I need anything else. I have the material in my cart, so I'll have to decide.

Jerry, when you finally settled on a solution I’d like to hear if you think that the pick guard material adversely effects the sound board sonically. I might ask a few Luthiers what they think because if no adverse effect I’d be interested in getting some of this stuff also.

Jerry, when you finally settled on a solution I’d like to hear if you think that the pick guard material adversely effects the sound board sonically. I might ask a few Luthiers what they think because if no adverse effect I’d be interested in getting some of this stuff also.

I doubt the pick guard would affect the sound enough for my ears to notice a difference. Otherwise, no guitars would have them. Of course, Willy Nelson doesn't use a guard, but his guitar has a big hole there. :)

I found an envelop full of various kinds of LCD protectors, but I think I'll order the stuff from Stew-Mac. Our local leader put clear plastic on his expensive Martin to prevent further scratches, and I'm sure he didn't agonize over what to use.

I doubt the pick guard would affect the sound enough for my ears to notice a difference. Otherwise, no guitars would have them. Of course, Willy Nelson doesn't use a guard, but his guitar has a big hole there. :)

I found an envelop full of various kinds of LCD protectors, but I think I'll order the stuff from Stew-Mac. Our local leader put clear plastic on his expensive Martin to prevent further scratches, and I'm sure he didn't agonize over what to use.

The area of a soundboard that is covered by a pick guard on a guitar is so much less proportionally than on a Uke (especially anything smaller than a Baritone). That was the point of my question. However, the upper bout, where you would stick the pick guard material may not contribute much to the sound of a Uke. I don’t know what is the case here. If there is not downside I’d like to do the same as you’re considering. I strum quite hard at times.

The area of a soundboard that is covered by a pick guard on a guitar is so much less proportionally than on a Uke (especially anything smaller than a Baritone). That was the point of my question. However, the upper bout, where you would stick the pick guard material may not contribute much to the sound of a Uke. I don’t know what is the case here. If there is not downside I’d like to do the same as you’re considering. I strum quite hard at times.

According to Brian, the person I bought the MyaMoe from, the pick guard does not affect the sound in any appreciable way. He has more than one he put the guards on. I didn't hear the tenor without the guard, so I have no point of comparison. But it sounds great with it.

A caveat, the MyaMoe koa has a Trueoil finish with a final lemon oil on top of that. The pick guard has an adhesive back. I don't know what kind of adhesive is used on the screen guards. But I imagine in both cases, a luthier would be needed to remove them. And to also remove any adhesive residue.

I'm not sure a static cling guard would work on anything but a high gloss finish, but I don't know that for sure. The sun shade I use in my car is static cling and it doesn't work on a porous or non-smooth surface. But sticks to the glass for a while before it starts to curl.

According to Brian, the person I bought the MyaMoe from, the pick guard does not affect the sound in any appreciable way. He has more than one he put the guards on. I didn't hear the tenor without the guard, so I have no point of comparison. But it sounds great with it.

A caveat, the MyaMoe koa has a Trueoil finish with a final lemon oil on top of that. The pick guard has an adhesive back. I don't know what kind of adhesive is used on the screen guards. But I imagine in both cases, a luthier would be needed to remove them. And to also remove any adhesive residue.

I'm not sure a static cling guard would work on anything but a high gloss finish, but I don't know that for sure. The sun shade I use in my car is static cling and it doesn't work on a porous or non-smooth surface. But sticks to the glass for a while before it starts to curl.

I asked Beau Hannam about my concern about a pick guard and he reinforced what Kenn2018 said. He also sent me links to both removable and permanent material to use for this purpose. I’ll post them later. Right now I’m and trying to get over my jet lag after my flight to Hawaii yesterday.

I tried several different LCD protectors that I had on hand on my koa Fluke, and there wasn't much difference between them. One of them (for a cell phone) didn't want to stay in place. The best was a Zagg. I've used Zagg on cell phones and cameras, and they've been excellent. Very tough. It's become harder to find them in the sizes I want. The two different kinds of LCD protectors I used (both for cell phones), above and below the strumming area, are easy to remove. I'll have to see how well they stay in place.

The iPad protectors I bought don't seem to have any adhesive at all, so I won't even try them. I'll cut them to fit my Kindles. They not available now, anyway.

I have some of these Supershieldz in cell phone size, but they don't seem very sticky. I'll try them tonight. I'm not very hopeful.

I'm not going to get the sheets from StewMac because, aside from cost, they are very sticky, and they could damage the wood if I try to remove them.

"Warning: The adhesive on this Mylar® is very sticky. If you do not have experience working with this product, it is advised that you practice on a not so important instrument first, or seek the help of a professional luthier. Removal can be difficult, and finish damage is always possible!"

I think these Zagg iPad protectors might be good, provided they have enough adhesive. For $7.99, you get enough plastic to cover four iPads. I need only about 2" X 3" for a uke.

I'll have to post this without any links and then try to add them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WYA852/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...Repair/Self-Adhesive_Clear_Mylar_Plastic.html

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NBKU...olid=1K6S0U4KGY5NH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I asked Beau Hannam about my concern about a pick guard and he reinforced what Kenn2018 said. He also sent me links to both removable and permanent material to use for this purpose. I’ll post them later. Right now I’m and trying to get over my jet lag after my flight to Hawaii yesterday.

These are the permanent ones:
https://www.lmii.com/pickguards-blank-sheets/2014-pickguard-sheet-transparent-self-adhesive-10-x-12-x-005.html

And these are the removable:

https://www.lmii.com/457-pickguards-pre-shaped/s-164/adhesive-removable

Last edited:
Top Bottom