Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Clear, Adhesive, Non-Damaging Pickguard Material

Default Wanted: Clear, Adhesive, Non-Damaging Pickguard Material

I'd like to put transparent adhesive plastic on the top of a uke or two to prevent the tops from getting scratched by my fingernails. My Fluke is already showing marks above and below the strings, and I'd like to keep it from getting worse. I have a couple of Martin sopranos I'd like to keep from getting worse, too.

I was thinking of something like they use for LCD protectors. They stick, but they can be peeled off easily.

EDIT: I'm going to order this pair of two.
    https://smile.amazon.com/amFilm-Scre...r=8-1-fkmrnull
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-17-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Why not try contact paper? Cheap, and easy to use. It peels off cleanly from glass when I’ve used it in etching projects. You could cut it to just the shape you want to cover if you don’t want it on the rest of the soundboard.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    Why not try contact paper? Cheap, and easy to use. It peels off cleanly from glass when I’ve used it in etching projects. You could cut it to just the shape you want to cover if you don’t want it on the rest of the soundboard.
    I want something clear, and I'm afraid of what contact would do to the surface. I should get these sheets on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I want something clear, and I'm afraid of what contact would do to the surface. I should get these sheets on Tuesday.
    Sounds good. They definitely don't leave a residue. Good research. I should put them on my "list"

Try screen protectors for phones.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I didn’t know you could get non-clear contact paper. I’ve only ever worked with clear. Perhaps you meant you want something that is nearly invisible to the eye? If so, you’re right, contact paper isn’t perfectly seethrough from an opacity standpoint.

You may be right on the adhesive residue left behind, though. Glass is one thing, but vintage wood is another altogether.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    Try screen protectors for phones.
    Good idea. They'll arrive on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    I didn’t know you could get non-clear contact paper. I’ve only ever worked with clear. Perhaps you meant you want something that is nearly invisible to the eye? If so, you’re right, contact paper isn’t perfectly seethrough from an opacity standpoint.

You may be right on the adhesive residue left behind, though. Glass is one thing, but vintage wood is another altogether.
    We must be talking about two different things. I mean the stuff that's used for lining a shelf, etc.

Definitely keep us updated on how it works Jerry. I've been thinking of something like this for my new Blackbird Clara. It's the first uke I've owned that I notice the sound of my fingers on the top when I strum. I'm trying very hard not to graze the sound board with my nails. I think a protector like you're getting would deaden the noise and protect the top as well.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Definitely keep us updated on how it works Jerry. I've been thinking of something like this for my new Blackbird Clara. It's the first uke I've owned that I notice the sound of my fingers on the top when I strum. I'm trying very hard not to graze the sound board with my nails. I think a protector like you're getting would deaden the noise and protect the top as well.
    Funny - I took a clawhammer workshop, and the instructor emphasized bringing the fingers down hard on top of the uke. No one wanted to do that.

Thread Information