Season 379: Bossafication!

Do we not bother to read the intro vids and the hosts requirements for the seasons anymore?
World time is tricky but I'm pretty sure it is not Saturday in Hawaii yet.....

yep just checked and it is still Wednesday.

Do we not bother to read the intro vids and the hosts requirements for the seasons anymore?

Not sure why you think Lynda needed to wait ‘til Saturday, Brian - as her third video was a collaboration with me and our host specifically mentions that cooperations can have their own song limit. So maybe she was just a few hours early with her third solo song - not the ‘days early’ crime you seem to be suggesting. And maybe this stuff would be better dealt with privately by the host if it’s a problem for them?

We are all going to just agree that we never want to hear what my version of Bossa nova sounds like, and just perhaps enjoy the genre bend I can pull off. After three hours of frustration, I just dove into big yellow taxi and found it fell into this.

thank you for quoting pa's post there, del, as i have him on block/ignore after all his repeated digs at me and other people. (i have tried PM-ing him several times to try and resolve things between us, but he has never answered)

mikel, i'm very sorry, i did check back on your opening post to check the song limit, i saw that it was 4 but i totally missed the bit about which days to post, my bad - apologies!

pa, missing a bit of the opening post is something i think we all do sometimes, i vividly remember you doing in season 179, when you claimed i was not following the guidelines for that season, and when i pointed out that i was, you said

OK. Sorry. Must have missed that when I read through at season start.

you went on to say that although what i did was in the guidelines, you still thought i shouldn't have done it

so anyway, yes, pa, it looks like "not bothering to read the intro vids and the hosts requirements for the seasons anymore", is something we all do from time to time, including you

It's definitely been a challenge to make much progress this week with the Bossa Nova rhythm. And it's especially hard to do and sing at the same time for me, so I'm going with the multi track here. Thanks for the challenging theme Mikkel, and thanks for hosting ~

Not sure why you think Lynda needed to wait ‘til Saturday, Brian - as her third video was a collaboration with me and our host specifically mentions that cooperations can have their own song limit. So maybe she was just a few hours early with her third solo song - not the ‘days early’ crime you seem to be suggesting. And maybe this stuff would be better dealt with privately by the host if it’s a problem for them?

Wasn't singling anyone out as it has happened at least 3 times I think this season.
I thought the conditions were very clearly stated.
I do not believe hosts should be put in a position of having to 'police' their season through pms.
We need hosts.
In a recent season I hosted I asked for one song a day which didn't happen. I just deleted that condition from my initial poat rather than cause a fuss.
Hosting should be easy and trouble free.
No hosts - no seasons.
I mentioned no crimes - just hoping that we do our best to meet the theme as intended by our hosts.

I think it's better if we don't poke our nebs in and leave the host to deal with things as they see fit. I surmise that most people have read the OP but tend to forget or work on local time without giving it more thought.

Ok it's after 2am on Thursday in Hawaii so here's my third.
Was only planning on doing two this week but got a pm from Mark suggesting this one. Not sure it is bossa nova rhythm but it's from Cuba and I love Pete Seeger (as Mark knew) so that's all the excuse I needed to give it a went....

Didn’t think I’d be taking part this week - bossa nova way out of my comfort zone - but I was inspired by Kevin’s version of ‘Imagine’ to have a stab at this one. Not a very authentic bossa nova strum at all, latin-ish beat and some synth to hide the cracks! Multi-tracked so just my ugly mug to watch singing - sorry!!!!:)

I had promised the Centro Asturiano de Barcelona that I'd write them a song for a gig we are doing there on the 15th June. So, I was so pleased to see this theme come up, because I thought I could kill two birds with one stone.

What I have done here is use a Bossa backing band (Bass, Percussion and Guitar) with me picking a vaguely Latin finger pick and singing over it. Most Bossa stuff uses fiendishly complicated chords, but I deliberately chose to stick to the first three chords we all learn (C, F & G). Is it Bossa? Maybe. I am not qualified to comment. Despite living on the Iberian Peninsula for 33 years, I can't tell a Bossa Nova from a Rumba or a Rhubarb.😈

The song is about an incident in 1934, that happened in the North Eastern Province of Spain called Asturias (their proudest boast is that they were the only part of Spain that was not conquered by the Moors and the reconquest of the peninsula started from Asturias). The incident described in the song was a precursor to the Spanish Civil War. The English translation of the lyrics in the description should help those of you who don't speak Spanish to get the gist of the story.

It is incredible that it was a full scale attempt at revolution. It is often referred to in English history books simply as the Miner's Strike of 1934. It was so much more than that!
Power to the People!

Hope you enjoy:

A short one from me, I've tried to boss up this classic Jazz choon with nova much luck :D

"Kamina ees" (In Front Of The Fireplace) is the first Estonian bossa nova song, written in 1971 by Uno Loop. So this WAS a bossa nova, before I did something bad to it.

I've been wanting to do this song for a while now. It's from a 1954 movie called "Garden of Eden," a nudist movie that became an important court case, "Excelsior Pictures vs. New York Board of Regents." The New York State Court of Appeals ruled that onscreen nudity was not obscene, and this ruling opened the door to more open depictions of nudity in film.

For this song I added claves, a shaker, my wooden "beat box" and a synth marimba, all in a desperate attempt to capture the Bossa Nova beat. Not sure that I succeeded, but I had fun nonetheless!

Hello again, Mikel, this song HAS been done in a "bossa" version ... but certainly not
by me here! Talk about flogging a dead horse!!! Anyway, without further ado, I bring you "Ticket to Ride" ...

Last edited:
I meant to do a two-in-one video of me singing and strumming, but I accidentally deleted the strumming video, so it's just me singing again.

This is a bossification of a country song by Tom T. Hall. Bass & drums by ChordPulse as before. I don't think I could manage it without a rhythm track to keep me in line.

I love all those jazzy chords that bossa nova uses!

4th and Final entry done in an Ayrshire accent, because I can. (Saturday in Finland for anyone interested)

As requested by our host I've waited until it is Saturday in Hawaii before posting my 4th.
I sure hope no one gets their rhythm meters out because I have no idea if this is b n or not .....

paoriginal
Thanks for the week UV.

Top Bottom