Season 379: Bossafication!

UkingViking

Reaction score
No intro video this week, I hope this post will do.

This week I have a bit of a challenge for you!
And for myself, as I haven't decided what to play.

A few years back on honeymoon in South America, I noticed how there were bossa-renditions of popular songs playing in most restaurants as background music. And it quite intrigued me!

The challenge this week is to play on ukulele:
- Any song played in bossa style, regardless of whether it was a bossa song originally
- Any song mentioning "bossa nova" in the lyrics or title
- Any old bossa nova tune played in whatever non bossa style you like.
- If you really dont like anything bossa, you can do a genre swap of a pop song to another genre, like metal or something, to honor the concept of messing with genres.

I will set a 4 song limit this week, gradually opening up for more songs during the week.
First song no sooner than the beginning of sunday Hawaii time.
Second song no sooner than the beginning of tuesday Hawaii time.
Third song no sooner than the beginning of thursday Hawaii time.
Fourth song no sooner than the beginning of saturday Hawaii time.

Multitracking and cooperating is encouraged.
Ukulele must be prominent.
Each cooperation group gets its own song limit.

Toturials on bossa-nove strumming- and picking patterns can be found on youtube.

I hope that about covers it, happy uke-ing!

Edit:

Playlist http://https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGqiWnN3Jl8y1KjsRlA37MZJAcKEmz0N

Last edited:
This is certainly going to be challenge for me - off to YouTube to check out the possibilities....
Thank you for hosting UV!

If all else fails, you can write a song about how you dont play bossa nova.
That will have the words bossa nova in the lyrics and hence qualify :)

Definitely a challenge, but one that I will cherish. I love Bossa stylings and have always wanted to learn. Honestly, it just seemed a bit out of my comfort zone with all of the jazzy chords and challenging right hand technique. An Idea i've considered; if I can't master the styling live in one week, maybe I can play the bass notes and the overdub the chords. But I do hope this season will be a spark for me to learn to do this styling live. Thanks UkingViking!

A major challenge for me. I can't stand Latin Rhythms .... and where do I live? The Iberian Peninsula! But I will try and find time to give it a go, nevertheless.

Cool UV.And timely for some.Yesterday I spent a couple of hours learning a Bossa Nova tune from a Glen Rose tutorial.I highly recommend his Jazzy Uke tutorial series.Downloadable videos with PDFs.He has a Bossa Nova series within the overall Jazz series.Not expensive and really well put together.
He may have a couple of free Bossa nova lessons on youtube as well.Learn yer some 13th chords young'uns!!

Cheers for hosting this one UV. Like most have said on here already I've never really dabbled in this genre either. Those beautiful Jazzy 13ths (as mentioned by John) and Dims lend themselves so well to the ukulele and translate so sweetly.........that alone is worth having a go at it.

Here comes the early shift.This was one of the first Bossa Nova's to cross from Brazil into the international scene. Manha de Carnaval - also known as The Theme from Black Orpheus and also in this version "A day in the life of a fool". The English words here don't really equate to the original Brazilian lyrics.But they work nicely.
It took me about 10 takes to get this.
This is based on Glen Rose's arrangement.

Now that's the way to kick this off John!
I'm not sure I got the Bossa Nova feel right but I gave it a went and fools seem to be the theme for these first two vids -

Last edited:
What I know about Bossa music wouldn't begin to fill a thimble, but I found this Elvis song I hadn't heard before, from the 1963 movie "Fun in Acapulco", and thought Ok, maybe I can fake this one. I decided to have some "fun" myself and do the intro on accordion, but my fun was short lived for as soon as I turned the recorder on I couldn't seem to nail the lick, and/or get the accordion off smoothly. With the recorder off, I could do it. That infamous red light is a beast I have yet to conquer. The ukulele playing and singing could both be better than this, but since I managed to hit the accordion lick, I kept the take.

homemade song, "bossa nova girl"

getting "bossa nova" in the title and lyrics, 'cos i dunno how close i am ever gonna be able to get to the real deal!

I had to multitrack this because I think it would take me at least a year of solid practice to play a bossa nova strum and sing at the same time. I used ChordPulse on the bossa nova setting at 130 bpm for the bass & drums to try and stay on track. I've probably heard this song several hundred times and I still can't sing it right.

So anyway, the video is only of me singing. I used my low G tenor.

An admission...I know nothing about Bossa Nova. I know a bit about other Latin inspired genres of music, so I attempted to genre bend this in another direction. Then I started having fun with the vocals and well...
Turns out this is just bent.
Way bent.
Cloverdale style.

Catch the Wind - Donovan

Hi friends! I didn't get any video of myself playing this because I didn't actually think I could get a good take. Had to multitrack because I just could not hold the rhythm, strum and sing all at the same time. It was tough enough to get a good take of the uke alone. One of the big reasons it's been so long (way too long) is the little music time I get has been devoted to learning to "play" Garageband instead of ukulele. But that came in handy on this one.

I hope all is well,
-TW

My apologies for interrupting, Mikel! Just to say that the Wrap for 378 is now up. (I shall now try to find out how to bossa.)

Last edited:
This whole BossaNova thing has got my fingers & head tangled up. Here's one I heard on the radio yesterday, a hit for the wonderful Fairground Attraction back in '88, which sounded like it might fit the bill. By the end of the week I might get the hang of it.

Top Bottom