Season 379: Bossafication!

For a lot of Latin American music styles, the key distinguishing feature is the rhythm and with a ukulele we often describe this in strum patterns. I don't really like to dwell too much on strum patterns because all too often they become mechanical whereas what you want is something that flows. However they are what is used in the ukulele world to talk about rhythm patterns. As a general rule a downstrum is played on the beat and an upstrum off the beat.

Bearing this in mind in my attempts to get a feel for the bossa nova rhythm pattern, I came across three basic patterns which in strum terms are like this (a dot indicates where the downbeat would be). Firstly, a two bar pattern which goes
a) |d d .udu|du .ud d|

on one site, they said this wasn't a bossa nova pattern but a samba pattern and on another they said playing just the second bar over was a samba pattern. This was the first pattern I came across and it was the one which fell apart every time I tried to match it to a song. Either way, it simply didn't work for me.

I then came across two one bar patterns which were claimed to be bossa nova patterns
b) d d .udu
c) du .u .udu

I actually ended up with something between these two which seemed to me to sound OK but quite likely is not strictly correct. I actually arrived at this by listening to The Girl From Ipanema and then singing it while trying to match the rhythm of the words to my playing without worrying about the chords.
d) d du .udu

The important thing is to get a bit of a swing feel into it. In swing music the first of a pair of quavers (1/8 notes) is held slightly longer and the second is shortened so the two fit in a beat. (You get something similar in traditional folk tunes when it's known as 'lilt'.) It's the swing that makes the music flow and you need to feel it rather than count it precisely.

All this rubbish is to introduce my second entry

My second and final effort this week at Bossafying a song :) The authentic Logic Pro percussion loops seem to help here, and I tried to really accent the 1, 2, 3& beats on my rhythm part. Definitely the toughest challenge I can remember since i've been participating. Thanks for hosting Mikkel ~

Last edited:
For a lot of Latin American music styles, the key distinguishing feature is the rhythm and with a ukulele we often describe this in strum patterns. I don't really like to dwell too much on strum patterns because all too often they become mechanical whereas what you want is something that flows. However they are what is used in the ukulele world to talk about rhythm patterns. As a general rule a downstrum is played on the beat and an upstrum off the beat.

Bearing this in mind in my attempts to get a feel for the bossa nova rhythm pattern, I came across three basic patterns which in strum terms are like this (a dot indicates where the downbeat would be). Firstly, a two bar pattern which goes
a) |d d .udu|du .ud d|

on one site, they said this wasn't a bossa nova pattern but a samba pattern and on another they said playing just the second bar over was a samba pattern. This was the first pattern I came across and it was the one which fell apart every time I tried to match it to a song. Either way, it simply didn't work for me.

I then came across two one bar patterns which were claimed to be bossa nova patterns
b) d d .udu
c) du .u .udu

I actually ended up with something between these two which seemed to me to sound OK but quite likely is not strictly correct. I actually arrived at this by listening to The Girl From Ipanema and then singing it while trying to match the rhythm of the words to my playing without worrying about the chords.
d) d du .udu

The important thing is to get a bit of a swing feel into it. In swing music the first of a pair of quavers (1/8 notes) is held slightly longer and the second is shortened so the two fit in a beat. (You get something similar in traditional folk tunes when it's known as 'lilt'.) It's the swing that makes the music flow and you need to feel it rather than count it precisely.

All this rubbish is to introduce my second entry

Yeah, it is hard to know excatly what is really bossa and what is samba etc. Also some webpages clam that bossa i kinda like samba, but a bit slower.
I found a few pages claiming that borth bossa and samba can be played with something like:
|d-d-du-u|du-ud-d-|
But then again, for the song I did, I couldnt follow that strictly as the song rhytm didn't agree.

So much beautiful bossa nova music, and so little time to practice this week. Welp, I did the best I could on this Jobim song...

Yeah, it is hard to know excatly what is really bossa and what is samba etc. Also some webpages clam that bossa i kinda like samba, but a bit slower.
I found a few pages claiming that borth bossa and samba can be played with something like:
|d-d-du-u|du-ud-d-|
But then again, for the song I did, I couldnt follow that strictly as the song rhytm didn't agree.

Yeah, I think you really hit on something important here. In my research this week each song's structure and melody kind of demanded an individualistic approach. Once I let go of the rigid idea I had to stick to an exact rhythm it finally opened up for me.

Two Chord Samba

I remember watching this BBC doc, "The Girl from Ipanema: Brazil, Bossa Nova & The Beach" - that included an interview with the actual Girl (Garofa) from Ipanema! - that quotes a carioca samba musician, Luís Filipe de Lima, responding to the presenter's suggestion that "Bossa nova feels very calm compared to samba", as saying that bossa nova (Brazilian Portuguese for 'new beat' ) "is samba. It is a type of samba, a branch on the great tree of samba."

So with that in mind, I present to you a two-chord samba (the |D D dU U| U uD D | beat mentioned by UkingViking above) that is nonetheless so laid-back, que provavelmente é mais bossa nova do que bossa samba. :)

Code:
 DM7                |                   |AM7 D dU U| U uD D |                           
  / / I'm a per-form|-er in a cock-tail |bar
  / / Nood-ling a-way| on this here gui-|tar
  / / Play these same two| chords a-gain & a-|gain
  / / Won't draw at-|tent-ion. No they won't of-|fend

/ / Some-times I dream |of being a rock'n'roll |star
  / / Add-a-few more |chords to my rep-er-|toire
  / / Have people lis-|ten to what I |play
  / / Get-a re-cord |deal & move a-|way

/ / But-for-now I |per-form in this ho-tel |bar
  / / Strum-ming just be|-low the cli-ents' ra-|dar
  / / The wait-ers |bust-le to and |fro
  / / Tomorrow night |there's a jazz com-|bo

/ / It's eas-y |mon-ey, yes I_ |know
  / / But nights like |this are oh so |slow
  / / Two more sets| till it's time to |go
  / / Two more hours_|__ of this back & |forth

/ / Kit-chen's clos-|ing, things are win-ding |down
  / / There's still just |time for that last |round
  / / So round_ I |go for one last |time
  / / Till the clos-ing |bell sounds its fin-al |chime
If you want to know why I'm so good at this, let me just tell you: there's a Rua Paul Redfern in Ipanema! :rofl:

Wrap up!

Hi Seasonistas,

Thanks for your participation this season!

I know that is was a tough challenge this week, but still so many of you played along. We managed to get 44 entries, in spite of the difficult rhytms!

I am sorry to say that there are no prizes this week, but check out
those brilliant videos people contributed, they are rewarding all of them!

Though all the contributions were great, if I should mention a few highlights that you must not miss, I would have to point to a few that took me off guard with their inventive take on the genre:
- DelGriffs Synth Bossa fusion, which is very innovative
- Yukios Bossa Bop, it is the new craze!
- And redpauls sharp lyrics and execution of his Two Chord Samba, which is the last on the playlist but not the least!

Now off to play California songs!

Thank you all.

Thank you for hosting, Mikkel. This theme was so far outside my comfort zone that I shocked myself by even managing to produce something worthy of the playlist, let alone your mention in the wrap. So thanks are also due to you and all the other Seasonistas that participated this week for inspiring me to take up the challenge! :)

thank you so much for hosting, and giving us such a great and challenging theme! i was sure at the start of the week that i wasn't up to the challenge, but i ended up having so much fun trying! congrats to everyone who got a well deserved shout out!

Very many thanks for the week, Mikel! (Have you got one "k" or two?) This was definitely a challenge and I now recognise what a bossa rhythm is ... although I still can't do it!

You are welcome!
I have two k's by the way.

Top Bottom