Season 379: Bossafication!

Had a little time too jump in on this exercise. Really rough at 160 BPM with voice cracks and all :)

A Billy Joel Bossa Nova song! Well not really, but I found a description of this song calling it "A quirky bit of neo-Bossa Nova", and that was good enough for me! lol I'm sure a real Bossa Nova fan or musician would be disgusted. This does have a Latin-ish feel to it, but it's still Billy Joel. When I was a teenager I wore out his Glass Houses album that this song was on.

I am not sure if this is a Bossa Nova but it has a lazy latin feel to it
At least the last two bars are bossa nova style cos I used that C6 and Db7 from Ipanema
to end the song :)

Here's one by Antonio Carlos Jobim. The most well known Bossa Nova composer.If you don't know him you probably know some of his melodies.I learnt this from a Glen Rose lesson.

I followed some tutorials on YT and tried the strum they suggested. I could do it but then matching it to a song and it all went wrong. I then tried the built in rhythm on my keyboard and tried to match that and got a little nearer. In the end you get this. It has a sort of Latin-ish feel with more emphasis on the "ish" than the "Latin".

Hello, Mikel, and thanks for an interesting challenge this week. This song may or may not be in Bossa Nova style (I tried, REALLY!). As a statement of intent, there is a Brazilian flag included in the video.

"Blame it on the Bossa Nova" - Eydie Gorme - dance demo / tutorial version

This is not an entry, just a wackadoodle thing I did for a long-ago Season, that I'm pretty certain any host who would host this theme would want to know of the existence of. Rusty did this song for some Season (100), which reminded me I knew a dance to it (a line dance, decidedly not bossa nova), and I promised to demonstrate. So for some later Season (122, tributes to other Seasonistas' earlier entries), I did.

This was probably the hardest Seasons video I ever did.

Do not try this at home.

To make up for this ridiculous non-entry, I promise to do a real one later this week.

[EDIT: Lol, when I search "ukulele bossa nova tutorial" in YouTube, this video shows up! It has 2800 views. Maybe this is why!]

Last edited:
This is not an entry, just a wackadoodle thing I did for a long-ago Season, that I'm pretty certain any host who would host this theme would want to know of the existence of. Rusty did this song for some Season (100), which reminded me I knew a dance to it (a line dance, decidedly not bossa nova), and I promised to demonstrate. So for some later Season (122, tributes to other Seasonistas' earlier entries), I did.

This was probably the hardest Seasons video I ever did.

Do not try this at home.

To make up for this ridiculous non-entry, I promise to do a real one later this week.

[EDIT: Lol, when I search "ukulele bossa nova tutorial" in YouTube, this video shows up! It has 2800 views. Maybe this is why!]

Energetic! I don't think I am ever going to manage dancing and ukeing at the same time!

Since I made you guys take a shot at Bossa Nova, I better do it myself too.

The only previous time I looked up bossa technique was strange enough for The Ukelites Hawaii theme, where I did "I'll remember you", which is kind of bossa.
This time I had to throw away the bossa rhytm that was taught on this site to make it fit the actual pace of the song, but I kept the three picking components and used them the way I could make them work.

Here is an old Jobim classic in a slightly modified edition:

I hope I will manage to bossafy with a pop song also, but we will see.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen.....Introducing the new dance sensation......The Bossa-Bop!

Its always terrible to follow Yukio and bring a song the host has done so fantastically!

I tried for two days to try and get the Bossa Nova pattern down but as soon as I'd sing it would turn into a Linda Nova.
I decided to turn the camera on during a rough practice session this morning while waiting for construction workers to arrive.
I figure its not going to get much better than this!

"Corcovado" (known in English as "Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars") is a bossa nova song written by Antônio Carlos Jobim in 1960. An English lyric was later written by Gene Lees.

Last edited:
I've really been struggling this week to find anything concise (and free) online that spoke to me in simple terms of understanding the Bossa Nova rhythm. This one, mentioned by Uking Viking works for me. So I'm finally working on getting the right hand technique going so that I can apply it to a song of my choice. Since it helped me, I thought I'd share it in case it can help anyone else.

http://ukuleleinthedark.com/ud53-latin-rhythms-picking-patterns-for-bossa-and-samba/

inspired by val's fab cover of the coffee song, here is a little homemade song, "the cuppa tea song"

i dunno how bossa it is, but i only wrote it this afternoon, so at least it's nova ;)

I thought I'd try an original instrumental. Videos of flowers around my house blowing in the wind. Black-eyed Susans, Mexican hats, daisies, phlox, horsemint, probably a few bullnettle flowers, some others I don't know the names of. The horsemint are the spiky-looking ones. It's an excellent flower for bees making honey. In some areas they are slightly purplish, but not here.

Top Bottom