Song Help Request Help Figuring Out Uke Chords for Simple Folk Song - To Know the Dark (Link attached)

colterwild

Reaction score
Hey, Uke Friends!

I am relatively new to the uke (just a few songs in) and I'd really love to learn a particular song. It's a simple, beautiful folksy song called "To Know the Dark." It comes from a poem by Wendell Berry and I'm not sure who set it to music, but here is a link to the song on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/songforest2/03-to-go-in-the-dark

If anybody has experience playing by ear and could help me figure out the chords to this song, I will really appreciate it!

Thank you!

ColterWild

Looking at Acme Spaceship's response, I wholeheartedly agree. While being able to figure out chords by ear is a valuable skill, I think most people are better served by seeing if they can find an existing chord chart of the song.

That said, one my hobbies has become making ukulele video play alongs, and I almost never find an existing chord chart for a song that I fully agree with. So what I suggest doing is then playing the song against the chord chart, and finding chords for the times that chords are missing in the chord chart, or the chord chart has the wrong chords.

I love resources like ukutabs.com. They offer me a great starting point, but my ears often lead me elsewhere.

The same is true with other resources, such as the Yellow Book. There are many times that I hear different chords than Jim Beloff heard--and that's okay. When I'm on my own, I can play those other chords. In a group, however, I just have to deal with it!

Thank you for sharing the link, acmespaceship! This song contains the same words by Wendell Berry, but is not to the same tune as the song that I am looking for. I know these words have been used by a few different musicians and set to music of their own creation. I'm not sure who even arranged the music for the song that I am looking.
Thank you for the input and advice, Choirguy! I have already found in the other songs that I've been learning, that I like to put my own spin on some of the songs and I'm sure this will continue. There's something magical about taking someone else's song and making it more personal and more our own personal style.
I agree with both of you that a lot of value and improvement of my skills will come from spending time figuring out chords for myself and I absolutely plan to do this! I am just recently getting back into making music, so I have a bit of strengthening and fine-tuning my ears ahead, but every song adds a few more chords to memory and helps hone my ear.

If anyone else finds any leads to chords for the song linked in my original post, I will greatly appreciate it!

Light, love, and happy musical creation!

Last edited:
Top Bottom