Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear4Music Soprano - REVIEWED

Default Gear4Music Soprano - REVIEWED

I just.... I can't even.... I just can't....

See for yourselves
    https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/05/...le-review.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Thanks for the review. In the past, I have given lessons. I quit because when parents are told not to buy an instrument like this for their children to learn on, they somehow hear: "buy the cheapest hunk of wood you can find on the Internet." and the kid shows up with something like the uke you reviewed and surprisingly, that kid does not fall in love with the instrument.
    Last edited by Doug W; 05-19-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

I wanted to reply on YouTube that all it needed was a change of strings and it would be better than a Kamaka at a fraction of the price, but I couldn’t do it knowing that someone out there would take that statement and order one.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016!

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ukuleletenor

I should also add that the instrument I’m currently “wowed” by for value is the Flight ABS series. I played a friend’s Magic Fluke Concert scale the other day in comparison, and the sound between the two was shockingly similar. I don’t that that the Shoenhut that you reviewed a while back is still made, but someone wanting a Flea/Fluke wouldn’t be too disappointed in the Flight, saving money until they could buy the Magic Fluke instrument.

Incidentally, I contacted Flight and they are considering making a Soprano long neck version of the ABS instrument, which I would buy in a second. Such a creature would be the perfect school instrument, too.

I only mention this as you offered Dolphins and Octopus models as a cheap alternative—the Flight should be listed, too.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016!

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ukuleletenor

It's not often you get to see the word "woeful" used in an instrument review.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Ha, loved the review...
    If you compare this uke to a Luna tatoo soprano, already a bad uke, the luna will seem like a $2500 Kaniela custom

There is cheap, then there is junk.

ALso, agree,the flight TUS 35 and 50 are amazing. love them.
    Last edited by uketanzon; 05-19-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Koaloha Opio Acacia Longneck Soprano
    Martin 100 year anniversary S1
    Martin IZ commemorative Tenor
    Kamaka 100 year anniversary model hf-1 2016
    Pono Acaia Taropatch 8 string
    Loprinzi cherry wood tenor
    Southern Cross Banjo Concert
    :::Quality fun and no worry about ukes::::
    Goldtone little gem banjo (beach banjo)
    Flight travel soprano (beach uke)
    Flight Ash concert (for sale or trade)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    Thanks for the review. In the past, I have given lessons. I quit because when parents are told not to buy an instrument like this for their children to learn on, they somehow hear: "buy the cheapest hunk of wood you can find on the Internet." and the kid shows up with something like the uke you reviewed and surprisingly, that kid does not fall in love with the instrument.
    You are not the first teacher to tell me that. It’s utterly depressing

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I should also add that the instrument I’m currently “wowed” by for value is the Flight ABS series. I played a friend’s Magic Fluke Concert scale the other day in comparison, and the sound between the two was shockingly similar. I don’t that that the Shoenhut that you reviewed a while back is still made, but someone wanting a Flea/Fluke wouldn’t be too disappointed in the Flight, saving money until they could buy the Magic Fluke instrument.

Incidentally, I contacted Flight and they are considering making a Soprano long neck version of the ABS instrument, which I would buy in a second. Such a creature would be the perfect school instrument, too.

I only mention this as you offered Dolphins and Octopus models as a cheap alternative—the Flight should be listed, too.
    Yes / I reviewed that Flight and should have mentioned it

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    Unfortunately, with the huge number of crappy instruments online as well as through some disreputable local shops this is common in band and orchestra problems as well. Families buy instruments that are great bargains because they are cheaper than renting and you find instruments that are poorly made with cheap parts and bad design that are barely playable. The parents end up feeling the purchase was justified when the student quits after a matter of months. In many cases the quality of the instrument is precisely why the student quit as it was near impossible to have success.

Yep - agree with all that. Terrible isn't it. And I find it particularly annoying when a 'music store' is doing the selling like this one. It's easy to see it with the Amazons or the WalMarts as they are not in the music business. But when a store that exists SOLELY to sell musical instruments peddles them, well.... they should be utterly ashamed.

Thread Information