Gear4Music Soprano - REVIEWED

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. In the past, I have given lessons. I quit because when parents are told not to buy an instrument like this for their children to learn on, they somehow hear: "buy the cheapest hunk of wood you can find on the Internet." and the kid shows up with something like the uke you reviewed and surprisingly, that kid does not fall in love with the instrument.

Last edited:
I wanted to reply on YouTube that all it needed was a change of strings and it would be better than a Kamaka at a fraction of the price, but I couldn’t do it knowing that someone out there would take that statement and order one.

I should also add that the instrument I’m currently “wowed” by for value is the Flight ABS series. I played a friend’s Magic Fluke Concert scale the other day in comparison, and the sound between the two was shockingly similar. I don’t that that the Shoenhut that you reviewed a while back is still made, but someone wanting a Flea/Fluke wouldn’t be too disappointed in the Flight, saving money until they could buy the Magic Fluke instrument.

Incidentally, I contacted Flight and they are considering making a Soprano long neck version of the ABS instrument, which I would buy in a second. Such a creature would be the perfect school instrument, too.

I only mention this as you offered Dolphins and Octopus models as a cheap alternative—the Flight should be listed, too.

It's not often you get to see the word "woeful" used in an instrument review.

Ha, loved the review...
If you compare this uke to a Luna tatoo soprano, already a bad uke, the luna will seem like a $2500 Kaniela custom

There is cheap, then there is junk.

ALso, agree,the flight TUS 35 and 50 are amazing. love them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. In the past, I have given lessons. I quit because when parents are told not to buy an instrument like this for their children to learn on, they somehow hear: "buy the cheapest hunk of wood you can find on the Internet." and the kid shows up with something like the uke you reviewed and surprisingly, that kid does not fall in love with the instrument.

You are not the first teacher to tell me that. It’s utterly depressing

I should also add that the instrument I’m currently “wowed” by for value is the Flight ABS series. I played a friend’s Magic Fluke Concert scale the other day in comparison, and the sound between the two was shockingly similar. I don’t that that the Shoenhut that you reviewed a while back is still made, but someone wanting a Flea/Fluke wouldn’t be too disappointed in the Flight, saving money until they could buy the Magic Fluke instrument.

Incidentally, I contacted Flight and they are considering making a Soprano long neck version of the ABS instrument, which I would buy in a second. Such a creature would be the perfect school instrument, too.

I only mention this as you offered Dolphins and Octopus models as a cheap alternative—the Flight should be listed, too.

Yes / I reviewed that Flight and should have mentioned it

Unfortunately, with the huge number of crappy instruments online as well as through some disreputable local shops this is common in band and orchestra problems as well. Families buy instruments that are great bargains because they are cheaper than renting and you find instruments that are poorly made with cheap parts and bad design that are barely playable. The parents end up feeling the purchase was justified when the student quits after a matter of months. In many cases the quality of the instrument is precisely why the student quit as it was near impossible to have success.

Yep - agree with all that. Terrible isn't it. And I find it particularly annoying when a 'music store' is doing the selling like this one. It's easy to see it with the Amazons or the WalMarts as they are not in the music business. But when a store that exists SOLELY to sell musical instruments peddles them, well.... they should be utterly ashamed.

Top Bottom