Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strapping up!

Default Strapping up!

Hi all, I've been playing my Lanikai and loving it over the past month or so. Unfortunately, I only play sitting down because I'm having trouble holding my uke and still making happy sounds come out. I've looked around some, and it doesn't seem like most soprano ukes come equipped with strap pegs. I'd like to use a standard guitar strap rather than a classical guitar strap, if possible.

Are straps more standard on the larger ukes? I've also been looking into buying a bigger uke, since I'm sort of a bigger guy. If anybody has any recommendations on the subject, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance!

I had a strap button installed on my tenor (didn't come with one). It has made playing standing up a possibility for me (never could before). I don't think very many ukes (larger or otherwise) come standard with strap buttons. Some with electronics have an input jack that you can use as a strap button, but that would still entail doing a mandolin style strap tie at the headstock. If you want strap buttons installed, they are not expensive, and any reputable luthier can install one for you. Or, if you live on the wild side, you can do it yourself with a drill and screwdriver.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

I installed my own strap button...I still tie off at the headstock, though. I use a mandolin strap...
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

I recently had a strap button installed on my Kanile'a tenor and purchased a Neotech mandolin strap with it. It makes playing standing up much more comfortable.

NO NO try a Uke Thong! I have 2 and they work great!! Go to ebay and search for Uke thong... $10.95 U.S + $2.99 shipping ! Really Awesome!
    Last edited by Ukeffect; 05-27-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mis spelled word

It's ouuurs, precious...It's our ukeses and we wants it, we needs it, we MUST haveses it! They might buyses it firsts, our ukeses in filthy, dirrty handses!

Fluke mango concert (Britney), Koa Pili Koko tenor (Beyonce), Melokia pineapple soprano (Miley), Kala kiwi soprano (Kylie), Brad D. superconcert (Fiona), Doane Clone baritone (Bjork), Cigar box tenor (Bonnie), Lanikai cedar deluxe concert (Katy)

I think strap buttons on a soprano are kind of overkill -- esp. if you're a bigger guy, you should be able to tuck it under your right arm pretty effectively when playing standing up.

If you're getting a tenor though, you might think about a strap.

Default Well I tried the DIY approach

I put a screw in the end of my cheapo Mahalo and it worked brilliantly.
    I'm not sure I've got the guts to do it on my Lanikai as I love it too much and would be sad if I split it...
    For a thin strap I bought a belt for 96p in Primark and cut the metal bit off

For a cherished uke I think I'd get a professional to do it...
    Uke Strap Button 004.jpg
    Uke Strap Button 002.jpg

My husband put strap buttons on my concerts.

I tried a uke thong, but you still have to keep one hand on the uke, or whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukeffect View Post
    NO NO try a Uke Thong! I have 2 and they work great!! Go to ebay and search for Uke thong... $10.95 U.S + $2.99 shipping ! Really Awesome!
    I just don't like the idea of something clipped to my sound hole - I know that classical guitarists often use them, but it gives me the heebiejeebies.

On the other hand, I drilled the hole on my Kanile'a for my strap button myself - so I guess maybe I'm gutsier than I thought!
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I installed my own strap button...I still tie off at the headstock, though. I use a mandolin strap...
    My wife is on a mission tomorrow,to go around all the charity shops in our area to find me an old leather handbag with a thin adjustable strap, she's fedup of me trying various bits of household stuff like the strap to her steam cleaner, not that I tried it, because I cut it.
    I've tried all manner and I'm still not comfortable.
    http://www.youtube.com/errol4bz
    http://leroy4bz.blogspot.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain!

Thread Information