Dyed Rosewood

Timbuck

Reaction score
I bought this Rosewood guitar fretboard blank looked a luverly chocolate brown with a hint of puple .. I can cut one of these up to make 4 soprano fretboards but I was a bit dissapointed when I sliced it down the centre to find it had a different colour on the inside..I suspect it has been treated in some way by dying it under pressure..Has anyone come across this before...I can still use it but I'll have to have a word with the supplier about it.
IMG_3667.jpgIMG_3668.jpg

It's not dyed.
This is quite typical in Brazilian and other rosewoods.

Yeah what Beau said. Looks like pretty typical rosewood to me also. I have gotten them with a lot less figure than these so not bad looking.

If it was my uke, I'd rather have the inside slice.

The darker faces might be that way because they have been exposed for a while to air and light since they were sawed into slices. Maybe trying putting the newly exposed faces in the sun for a while. They may darken.

When i buy Purple Heart for fretboards I always go for the darkest deepest purple I can get. After the first slice the inside is always pale by comparison, however after a few days in the light they daken down to the original colour.

Top Bottom