Thread: Ohana's Premium mahogany??

Default Ohana's Premium mahogany??

Can anyone chime in on what the actual difference is in their standard mahogany vs their premium mahogany?
    I'm looking to buy one of their sopraninos and I'm trying to decide, aside from the different finish, what advantage the SK-21M has over the SK-21.
    What constitutes it being premium? Is it thinner, lighter, what??
    Also a side note: their Pequeno model has notched kerfling versus the solid flat kind. Any advantage there on a sopranino?
    Thanks!

I know your post is about Ohana, but just to chime in, have your played a Kremona? For my ear, that is the best “premium” mahogany I’ve heard. Such a warm resonance. Good luck!
    I think I have pineapple UAS

Ukes in order of purchase
    2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Astein2006 View Post
    Can anyone chime in on what the actual difference is in their standard mahogany vs their premium mahogany?
    I'm looking to buy one of their sopraninos and I'm trying to decide, aside from the different finish, what advantage the SK-21M has over the SK-21.
    What constitutes it being premium? Is it thinner, lighter, what??
    Also a side note: their Pequeno model has notched kerfling versus the solid flat kind. Any advantage there on a sopranino?
    Thanks!
    One guess would be better looking mahogany. There are many grades of wood. I would rely on Ohana to answer that question in their description. If they don't do a convincing job, maybe it isn't really Premium.

EDIT: Ah, I see. It's designed like a Martin Style 2. Very clever. A friend just got a Martin 2 tenor, and he loves it. I think the "Premium" refers to the mahogany.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-20-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I had the Ohana TK-38 all premium mahogany tenor. As far as I could tell the only difference I could discern was a darker stain. Sound wise it wasn't better or worse than any other all solid mahogany ukulele in it's price range.
    ymmv
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Looks to me like the binding and rosette are a little more "premium" on the M. They seem to be going for about the same price +/- $20, so pick the one you like best!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water w/Fremont soloist low G | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe | Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Looks to me like the binding and rosette are a little more "premium" on the M. They seem to be going for about the same price +/- $20, so pick the one you like best!
    On the Martin 3, the binding is some kind of plastic, but on the Ohana Style 3 imitation, it's actual maple. $300 for one, and $3,000 for the other.
    https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...entennial-uke/
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    One guess would be better looking mahogany. There are many grades of wood. I would rely on Ohana to answer that question in their description. If they don't do a convincing job, maybe it isn't really Premium.

EDIT: Ah, I see. It's designed like a Martin Style 2. Very clever. A friend just got a Martin 2 tenor, and he loves it. I think the "Premium" refers to the mahogany.
    I called Ohana and they said their premium is treated and prepared differently than the non premium mahogany. Having to do with the drying process etc.

I was thinking that perhaps Ohana was doing the same thing with their ukes as Martin does with their guitars, ie. reserving genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) for their premium instruments and using other “mahoganies”such as khaya, Spanish cedar, sipo, for their lower priced models.
    Sopranos: Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I was thinking that perhaps Ohana was doing the same thing with their ukes as Martin does with their guitars, ie. reserving genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) for their premium instruments and using other “mahoganies”such as khaya, Spanish cedar, sipo, for their lower priced models.
    That may be true also. Although they didn’t mention that on the phone for maybe obvious reasons. I’m still very interested in the SK-38 or SK-21m. Just need to get my hands on one. If it’s good quality mahogany it’s hard to beat their prices.

From Mim's site regarding the CK-38, but probably applies to the 21M...maybe?

"Made from premium mahogany, a rubbed vintage finish, a aged looking binding, and a light construction and build, this ukulele does a good job of capturing the essence of the look, playability, and sound of the vintage mahogany Martins. It is made to look a little aged, and has a nice vintage look and a wonderful full sound. This is a newer version of this model with a little more gloss to the finish and bone nut and saddle. But with the same light construction that gives this ukulele its tonal power!"
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water w/Fremont soloist low G | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe | Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Thread Information