Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: (Another) Intonation Question…

I've no doubt this will have been covered by one of the previous replies, but if you need to 'sharpen' a ukulele, you really do need to establish the reason that it is playing flat.

John Colter.

On 12th fret, do actually press down the string with a finger (index or middle or ring) or do you play the harmonic to test this? Did you try it also with capo instead of fingers? different ways of playing the note can make a big difference too.

Such a deep and probing inquiry. I literally hear you. The is no way to get a stationary fretted instrument in perfect tune and intonation. That's why violins and their family are fretless. They can be played in perfect tune by extremely skilled players but usually aren't. Here's a link to an article about guitar tuning compromise which is applicable to your situation. I hope you find it interesting and helpful.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine..._a_compromise/

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    On 12th fret, do actually press down the string with a finger (index or middle or ring) or do you play the harmonic to test this? Did you try it also with capo instead of fingers? different ways of playing the note can make a big difference too.
    Thanks. I was pretty careful when fretting. After my initial posting I repeated the intonation measures using the tip of a pencil erasure placed as close to the center between fret wires. Outcomes were pretty close to the original. And no, I didn't try a capo.... go idea though. I'm not going to repeat the exercise at this point :-)

OP

Quote Originally Posted by GTT View Post
    Such a deep and probing inquiry. I literally hear you. The is no way to get a stationary fretted instrument in perfect tune and intonation. That's why violins and their family are fretless. They can be played in perfect tune by extremely skilled players but usually aren't. Here's a link to an article about guitar tuning compromise which is applicable to your situation. I hope you find it interesting and helpful.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine..._a_compromise/
    THAT was a quality posting! Another qualified listen/look at intonations from a practitioner's perspective. He/she's gotta know what there doing to keep their customers happy. Looks like he has issues, too, with all the "experts." Fortunately I'll NEVER be in a sound studio to experience that level of near-perfection. Thanks for sharing that.... definitely worth the look and read.

FINAL update :-)
    I have been introduced to a local luthier with whom I shared the substantive portions of this thread as well as the (seemingly) reams of numbers I measured and recorded. His 'finding' is that the scale of the concert Romero is slightly longer than the 378 in my last set of measurements. He eventually removed the 'factory' compensated saddle and made some adjustments to it. The tonal measurements that were in the 20-25c flat range improved to the 8-12c at the 12th thru 15th frets. My original post lists the original rough measures.

FWIW, I'm quite pleased and honored at the time taken by so many of the forum to push me through the rabbit hole. If you have access to a local luthier, consider yourself very fortunate. However, there's something to be said about taking the journey and learning something(s) new and interesting. Thanks to everyone.

BTW, acquired another uke (with near "perfect" intonation). A Kala Travel concert cutaway, solid spruce top with laminate spalted maple sides and back. Purchase from UkeBug.com a small store in Ohio. Perfect setup, two day free delivery ( ordered on Friday afternoon, he stayed up late to package and ship before going on vacation!). I added Worth browns and a set of GOTOH's. I bring this up only because it's not the only instrument I can play for the next 6 weeks.... Crashed my bike, broke collar bone and ribs! That nice, slender (thinline) body fits nicely under my sling while healing. :-)

Regarding temperament and the possibility or impossibility of intonating correctly at all frets, there are some tricks a good swimmer can pull off. Fanned frets are getting more common (or at least, less uncommon) on longer scale instruments. Check out this guitar video for a great discussion of the issue and a demonstration of a super-wacky Steinbrenner squiggly-fretted True Temperment guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Regarding temperament and the possibility or impossibility of intonating correctly at all frets, there are some tricks a good swimmer can pull off.
    Sure :-) ... but close examination of the video shows the players' fingernails are not cut to consistent lengths, and he has a small boney protuberance on his forefinger that could affect bridging on the E string. That completely ruins the fret-bound corrections ;-)

Thread Information