Titebond Translucent for Pore Filling and other Purposes

Brett S.

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of this Titebond for gluing on wood bindings. It seems like it is also going to work well for some finishing/pore filling. And I'm wondering about where else it would be good to use?

Any thoughts?

WoodGlues_PP_TBTranslucent.jpg

Would you want to put that much of a water based product on your raw wood for pore filling. Maybe after a few coats of shellac? or even lacquer.

Would you want to put that much of a water based product on your raw wood for pore filling. Maybe after a few coats of shellac? or even lacquer.

Yes after shellac for sure. I've tested it out already on a piece of scrap. After a good coat of shellac and sanded back. The glue sands well and seems to have good clarity. I have a really porous oak-like (ring porous) wood and I want some fill, but I don't mind if I still see a little of the grain texture. It's looking good.

I just thought since it is clear, how different can it be than other clear water based fillers?

If it doesn't shrink back after a time it could be a great solution. I don't think I would try it on anything but a keeper if it hasn't stood the test of time.
If you use it please keep us posted for the next few years.

use a pore filler for pore filler

I use Stewmac's waterbased grain filler after a light coat of shellac. Doesn't stink and it's easy peasy to apply and sand. I'll let it dry for a day or so then apply another light coat of shellac, then either waterbase "lacquer" or tru-oil finish.

Thanks! That's the ColorTone Waterbase Grain Filler? I am always hesitant to add color to the natural wood. Currently using a stash of Honduran Mahogany. The Mahogany colored stains and fillers are usually too red for my tastes. Do you have any experience with using these on Honduran Mahogany?

Thanks! That's the ColorTone Waterbase Grain Filler? I am always hesitant to add color to the natural wood. Currently using a stash of Honduran Mahogany. The Mahogany colored stains and fillers are usually too red for my tastes. Do you have any experience with using these on Honduran Mahogany?

Yes the ColorTone. Great stuff. Haven't used stains on mahogany yet, but I actually love the look of red stained mahogany with very dark pores. I'll do a few in the future.

The ColorTone waterbased grain filler doesn't have to be "colored". That is just the brand name. They sell a clear one with no dye. I've used it with limited success. I had high hopes it was the going to be the magic bullet of pore fillers. Alas, it comes up short. The directions say two applications is sufficient. It isn't. It will get you started however. I used it over a first coat of 1 pound shellac for safety purposes (unwanted staining, etc.). Sands nicely and doesn't shrink too much. Compatible with most finishes. Non-toxic.

ColorTone_Clear_Grain_Filler.jpg

Top Bottom